Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Download and upload figures.

• Please log in to reply

C.stevens

C.stevens

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am in the Uk and use BT Broadband on a wired netgear router.

Just been to http://www.speedtest.net/ and my results are

ping 165ms
Download speed 5.86 mbps
Upload speed o.25 mbps

I am sure many of younhave cable which is a lot faster but could those of you with broadband please tell me the results you get.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Over an ADSL connection (via a BT line) the figure you get speed wise is dependent on copious factors.

These include the length of the line, the quality of the line, how busy the local exchange is when you do a speed test, the quality of the router, your own internal wiring and filters, and also which direction the wind is blowing. All of these (except the one about the wind) play a factor in speed.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

... could those of you with broadband please tell me the results you get.

Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
My Results

C.stevens

C.stevens

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks both for posting your results.

I assume the smaller the ping number the better.
Like a kid with a new toy I have tried this test about 20 times just to see how the numbers very at different times of the day.
Ping is from 105ms to 165ms.

It must be a pleasure to surf the net with those download and upload figures you both get.

Downlaod speed is consistently between 5.31 and 5.86 mbps.

I think my upload speed is bad between 0.19 and 0.36 mbps.

Comparing the results to the rest of the UK they get almost double download and upload figures.
But for my area of the UK and my ISP on the whole download figures are about right.

For my area of the UK they seem to be getting 0.8 to 0.9 mbps upload speed, so 3 times mine.

Can anyone pleased tell me what symptoms I would notice from a poor upload speed?

This investigation all started because on Friday although I was connected to the internet there were a couple of sites that would not open.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Can anyone pleased tell me what symptoms I would notice from a poor upload speed?

Slow uploads.

This investigation all started because on Friday although I was connected to the internet there were a couple of sites that would not open.

The internet is not 100% perfect 100% of the time. The sites themselves may have been down, or some other equipment between you and them was having a problem.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you actually experiencing problems? you've never stated what speed you're paying for.

saha123

saha123

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I am in the Uk and use BT Broadband on a wired netgear router.

Just been to http://www.speedtest.net/ and my results are

ping 165ms
Download speed 5.86 mbps
Upload speed o.25 mbps

I am sure many of younhave cable which is a lot faster but could those of you with broadband please tell me the results you get.

my speed is

downloads : 1.8Mbps
uploads : 0.8Mbps
i got this result through this site. http://www.scanmyspeed.com/