Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A strange 560gtx problem

• Please log in to reply

romtim

romtim

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, i have bought a 560gtx video card (the OC version from Gigabyte, 900mhz) about 3 weeks ago. As that the shop has told me it is easily overclocked without touching the voltages, i tried to increase it to 1000mhz, but i suffered driver recovery errors, so i had to downgrade it back to 900mhz, and i dont touch the clocks since the first day.

The problem follows: When i play a game for some time, it will just randomly freeze with different symptoms, but i will have to reboot my pc by pressing reset or powering it down. For example: I play a game (battlefield bad company 2, or age of conan) all maxed out, the card is like 65-70degrees, everything is smooth, no artifacts, no lags.

Type #1 - Then boom - the sound might start doing a TRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, the mouse freezes, the screen freezes. Then the TRRRR stops and i can hear the music in the game, but still everything is frozen including number lock. So i have to reset.
Type #2 - The screen just freezes, the sound remains neutral (playing ambient sounds), number lock is reacting, then it stops reacting, and my monitor goes black and says dvi display or smth - well as if it wasn't plugged. And i still hear the sounds
Type #3 - The screen freezes, all the combat sounds go away, but i hear the ambient sounds, and i can move the mouse, yet it updates it's location like once in 0,5seconds. Then in like 20 seconds it freezes completely and i have to restart again.

There might be other types of crashes, but i did not memorize them all, i hope these are enough for you to give me some advice.

My card is not overheating, everything in my PC works fine, it always worked until i replaced my video card, and my PSU is a 100 euro psu from OCZ 600watts, and it does its job just fine. I would like to remind, that it happens randomly, might happen in 30 minutes, might happen in 3 hours. I have reinstalled windows some time ago, so its not related to bad drivers or so, my drivers are up to date.

Why am i posting this only after 3 weeks, because i didnt play games activly for some time, and today i tried to play Age of conan, it crashed my pc after 1 hour of gameplay, so i made some tea, came back and played for 30 mins more - BOOM. Then i figured that its better to play BFBC2, so i played it for an hour, and BOOM! Pc crashed again with no video signal thingy. I wrote this post and in 15 minutes of bfbc2 gameplay the screen got a small lag with a sound trr then it was normal for 10 secs, then it happened again and i had to manually reboot, because the screen became black. Then i played again for 15 minutes and it just froze. Just Froze and then black screen and i had to shutdown manually and go to sleep.

Intel i7 920 @ 2.66Ghz
OCZ 6gb (3x2gb) RAM Platinium Edition 1333mhz PC10666 CL7
Asus P6T
1 HDD 500gb
OCZ600MXSP - 600w Power supply
GV-N560OC-1GI - Nvidia GTX 560 Ti 1gb (factory oc'ed to 900gpu/1002memory/1800shader)
Windows 7 64bits.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,035 posts
Download and run Speedfan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php post a screen-shot both before and after gaming, this will allow your temps and voltages to be checked also have you tried using Riva Tuner to stabilise the card?
http://www.freewaref...programid=13538

romtim

romtim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi
what do you mean after gaming? i do not finish gaming, the computer finishes it for me :D
I do not know about riva tuner, how to use it exactly?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,035 posts

what do you mean after gaming? i do not finish gaming, the computer finishes it for me

When it happens reboot and take the screen-shot right away.

I do not know about riva tuner, how to use it exactly?

At the attached link click on RivaTuner 2.24c at the top of the page, read
the instructions and follow the on screen messages and your done.

romtim

romtim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i have installed the rivatuner. I launched it. it has some registry settings, and i dont think i need to touch them. It found my drivers as forceware and has nothing interesting that can "OPTIMIZE MY VIDEOCARD".
What the...?

romtim

romtim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
so? anyone?