Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adaptor for USB to eSATA connection

• Please log in to reply

lfshadow

lfshadow

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have Direct TV Satelitte TV with a DVR. Direct TV says you can hook up an external hard drive to their DVR/reciever and record as many shows/movies as you can fit on it, but it has to be connected by an eSATA connection. My external hard drive only has a USB connection. However, they do make adaptors for this. I just need to know exactly what I need to buy - (what adaptor and what cable) Is there anything else I need for this? And where I can get it.
My external drive - Maxtor One Touch II (now owned by Seagate)
What's the difference between "SATA" and "eSATA"?
Thanks

Advertisements

SgtSama

SgtSama

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
The only difference between SATA and eSATA is the "e" I believe (Which stands for external). It's just a different sized plug, similar to the smaller USB you tend to see for cameras/phones.

The most basic solution for this that I can think of (without being able to see all of your equipment up-close), would be a USB to eSATA converter. I looked around to see if I could locate one and was unable to find such a simple item, but that's NOT to say that they don't exist. If anyone else here can find one, that sounds like your best bet.

I found one that I've linked to below, but if it works depends on if your external drive uses a regular sized USB, or the smaller ones I mentioned earlier. If it does use a smaller USB, you can then purchase yet another adapter to fix that (Bottom link)

I would like to restate the fact that they may have simpler solutions for this that I was unable to find, but this should give you a good idea as to what you're looking for.

(USB to SATA converter)
http://tinyurl.com/4olbwtj

(USB-Female to miniUSB-Male converter)
http://tinyurl.com/4blosvl

lfshadow

lfshadow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks Sgt. I will double check both connections to make sure I get the right size.