Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking to buy a gaming pc (need advice)

• Please log in to reply

Nicole88

Nicole88

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I need some of you smart software/computer guys to help me with something. Okay so I'm looking to buy a quality gaming computer but one that's that's a good deal. I have a hard time judging how good it is based on the technical attributes listed. I'm looking at a used gaming PC on Amazon that has been marked down from $1,228.84 to $549.49. It seems too good to be true to hope there isn't something seriously wrong with it despite it's status as being "like new". Should I take a chance or look elsewhere? There's also this from a site I was told has good deals. I'm extremely ignorant about "specs" so I really have a hard time judging what's good or not. Thanks for all of your advice in advance guys. :D

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B001NPCT4G

Or
http://centauruscomp...nfigurator.html

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It is good that you stated the primary purpose of this machine (gaming) but without stating your budget, we can only generalize. But that is not good either because this CPU may be best at this price point, but that CPU may be better at that price point. Same with graphics.

That said, while AMD makes excellent, very reliable, and often very affordable CPUs, I prefer Intel. So your second option is it for me, without a doubt. Plus the second option is warrantied for 3 years. The HP, just 1. Also, the big makers (HP, Dell, Acer) tend to use proprietary, branded boards and software. This can hamper or even prevent future upgrades and expansions.

Before we can help you, we need to know how much you are willing to spend. We also need to know what you are bringing to the table. That is, do you also need a monitor? Keyboard and mouse? Speakers? Or are they included in your budget?

For adequate gaming, I recommend a minimum of 3Gb of RAM, preferably 4Gb and 64-bit Windows 7. A graphics card (vs on-board graphics) with digital (DVI or HDMI) outputs. Because gaming is about the most demanding task we can ask of our computers, excellent case cooling from a quality case is essential. And regardless the primary function of the computer, a quality, properly sized power supply is a must.

Nicole88

Nicole88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm looking for the best options available under $600, PC only for now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Now I am on the other side of the CPU table as I prefer AMD.
I venture to point out a couple of things with the systems.

Hp apparently has a slower CPU then the Centaurus
Hp has 8 gigs of memory while Centaurus only has 2 gigs
Hp has a 750 gig HD while Centaurus only has 320 gig HD
Hp has Vista 64 bit while Centaurus only has Win 7 64 bit 30 day trial.
Hp has a 769 meg video while Centaurus has a 512 meg video
HP has a Blu-Ray dvd drive while Centaurus has a standard Dvd drive

Nicole88

Nicole88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Now I am on the other side of the CPU table as I prefer AMD.
I venture to point out a couple of things with the systems.

Hp apparently has a slower CPU then the Centaurus
Hp has 8 gigs of memory while Centaurus only has 2 gigs
Hp has a 750 gig HD while Centaurus only has 320 gig HD
Hp has Vista 64 bit while Centaurus only has Win 7 64 bit 30 day trial.
Hp has a 769 meg video while Centaurus has a 512 meg video
HP has a Blu-Ray dvd drive while Centaurus has a standard Dvd drive

So you think for around the same price that the HP is a better deal then? I can't help but be a little baffled about the fact that the used version that I'm looking at is over $800 dollars off the original price the seller(s) seem to be reputable though.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I myself think the HP is better but as Digerati points out it may have proprietary software installed which takes up a lot of room.

SgtSama

SgtSama

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to state my opinions as I don't work here (mods please delete this if I"m not), but I would personally choose the centaurus for a few reasons.

1.) I"m biased to Intel machines, but that's not something you necessarily have to go by.

2.) Although the HP has 8GB of 800Mhz ram (pc6400, assuming 800Mhz), the 2GB 1333Mhz ram in the Centaurus stands out in my eyes.

Cons about the Centaurus would be that the video card is only 512MB, which would be fine for some games, but it depends on what you're trying to play, and what level of quality you want to get out of it. Obviously, you can customize the video card option to get a more powerful one if necessary, but that will increase your price as well.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
SgtSama all opinions are welcome as long as they are informative and respectful. Your response is both and welcomed.
The big difference I believe with people will be the processor itself. :D
As you stated on the Centaurus you can change the components but that will increase the price.
Nicole88 you might try to match the Centaurus system to the HP ssytem and see what the price will be then. Keep the cpu but upgrade the video, memory, HD and the OS to a full 64 bit version.

Nicole88

Nicole88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

As you stated on the Centaurus you can change the components but that will increase the price.
Nicole88 you might try to match the Centaurus system to the HP ssytem and see what the price will be then. Keep the cpu but upgrade the video, memory, HD and the OS to a full 64 bit version.

Okay so i tried to match it as best i could although there was no video card option for "Nvidia GeForce960" which is what the HP has and I don't know which Nvidia video cards available would come closest to that. Either way with all the suggested upgrades it came over $700.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Only 150 more and it would have the warranty with it. Might be worth the extra cost.

Advertisements

Nicole88

Nicole88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
With the exception of a ridiculous bargain $600 really is the maximum I can go for.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then you will have to decide from the differences I posted but I will remind you that the Centaurus has only a 30 day trial of Win 7 and you may have to buy a license for it to make it full which could end up costing you another 125 or more in 30 days.

Nicole88

Nicole88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I appreciate the advice rshaffer61. Still undecided on what to do but I'll take what you've said into consideration. Further advice or suggestions is more thank welcome. Thanks everyone

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I myself think the HP is better but as Digerati points out it may have proprietary software installed which takes up a lot of room.

You can't compare the two. The HP is a specific model, already configured with lots of goodies. The Centaurus link goes to the unconfigured configuration page! And it starts at the bottom of the price range.

But if you want to compare, with the HP, you are stuck with HP's unspecified case. It might mount the motherboard with screws, or it might use bent tines. With the Centaurus, you can chose between a variety of name brand cases. With the HP, you are stuck with an HP supplied OEM PSU. With the Centaurus, you can choose between a number of name brand quality supplies. With the HP, you are stuck with HP supplied RAM. With the Centaurus, you can choose between Crucial, Corsair, or G-Skill. You have variety of motherboards, CPUs, graphics cards with the Centaurus.

Sure, the HP will be cheaper. They can buy 1,000,000 harddrives, 1,000,000 motherboards, 1,000,000 CPUs at one time. But, you can build, or you can have Centaurus build a PC that is customized for you. Not for 1,000,000 people HP thinks are just like you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Agreed but the price point the OP has given narrows the choice a lot. Maybe a better video card and memory on the Centaurus system would help but not sure how much that would raise the price.
The other issue is like i said about the OS itself on that system.