Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Looking to buy a gaming pc (need advice)

• Please log in to reply

SgtSama

SgtSama

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
One thing that may help us all in our advice-giving would be to know what types of games you're wanting to play and what quality you're looking for them to be. Not all games require 6GB RAM and SLI Video after all.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Is there some reason you are looking at Centaurus Computers? I have never heard of them, and in doing some research, I can't find anything about them either. The only reference to any sort of "brick and mortar" entity is they charge sales tax if you live in North Carolina. The 989 area code listed under contact us goes to Michigan. This ResellerRatings reviewer discovered the same and just today (coincidently) suggests what I fear - this is just some guy with a fancy website selling computers out of his garage. There is nothing wrong with that (I sell custom builds out of my basement - locally only) but when there is no street address, no established reputation, no way to confirm everything is on the up and up, it causes me to wonder - especially before giving away my credit card information.

It is also not really fair to compare a custom built computer with a mass-produced factory built either - unless your primary goal is cost today. HP, Dell, or Acer can all beat, in terms of costs, a custom build from a small shop or self-built. But a custom built will be built using an ATX Form Factor compliant case, power supply and motherboard which means in 3, 4, or 5 years from now you can swap any and every thing out, if you want. With a Dell, HP or Acer, your upgrade options will be limited, and more expensive, if even available. If strategically thinking, investing now in a custom built can save you money over the years because your computer will be able to evolve with incremental upgrades instead of having to upgrade the entire computer at once.

Something else to consider with a custom build is you can get a motherboard with on-graphics now, then upgrade to a much better card when there's money in the budget again. This does require some thought when choosing your PSU, however, because you want your PSU to support the card when you finally get it.

So understand my concern is not AMD or Intel. It is factory made or custom made. I personally prefer Intels and Ford Trucks, but I contend AMD makes great CPUs and Chevy and Ram Trucks are... ok. :D

If you are going factory made, then compare HP to Dell to Acer. If going custom build, there are many options from building your own to having it built for you. Unless you have some personal experience or connection to Centaurus, I think there may be better options.

Nicole88

Nicole88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

One thing that may help us all in our advice-giving would be to know what types of games you're wanting to play and what quality you're looking for them to be. Not all games require 6GB RAM and SLI Video after all.

A few of the game I'd like to be able to play without problems include Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 2, and SWTOR. I'm not necessarily looking to play games like Crysis that I hear demand absolute top notch video cards amongst other things.

Is there some reason you are looking at Centaurus Computers? I have never heard of them, and in doing some research, I can't find anything about them either. The only reference to any sort of "brick and mortar" entity is they charge sales tax if you live in North Carolina. The 989 area code listed under contact us goes to Michigan. This ResellerRatings reviewer discovered the same and just today (coincidently) suggests what I hear - this is just some guy with a fancy website selling computers out of his garage. There is nothing wrong with that (I sell custom builds out of my basement - locally only) but when there is no street address, no established reputation, no way to confirm everything is on the up and up, it causes me to wonder - especially before giving away my credit card information.

It is also not really fair to compare a custom built computer with a mass-produced factory built either - unless your primary goal is cost today. HP, Dell, or Acer can all beat, in terms of costs, a custom build from a small shop or self-built. But a custom built will be built using an ATX Form Factor compliant case, power supply and motherboard which means in 3, 4, or 5 years from now you can swap any and every thing out, if you want. With a Dell, HP or Acer, your upgrade options will be limited, and more expensive, if even available. If strategically thinking, investing now in a custom built can save you money over the years because your computer will be able to evolve with incremental upgrades instead of having to upgrade the entire computer at once.

Something else to consider with a custom build is you can get a motherboard with on-graphics now, then upgrade to a much better card when there's money in the budget again. This does require some thought when choosing your PSU, however, because you want your PSU to support the card when you finally get it.

So understand my concern is not AMD or Intel. It is factory made or custom made. I personally prefer Intels and Ford Trucks, but I contend AMD makes great CPUs and Chevy and Ram Trucks are... ok. :D

If you are going factory made, then compare HP to Dell to Acer. If going custom build, there are many options from building your own to having it built for you. Unless you have some personal experience or connection to Centaurus, I think there may be better options.

Good points all around. I don't know much about Centaurus. It was recommended by someone who seemed relatively knowledgeable when I asked for advice on yahoo answers.

SgtSama

SgtSama

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
From what I know, those games should run just fine on a system similar to the Centaurus that you showed us, but in light of the information I just read about it being a fairly underground company, you're never sure if you can trust it. This is why I said "a system similar".

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
It may be perfectly legitimate. Someone went to a lot of work for something, if a scam, that would not last long.

You can always use the sites "configurator" then look up the prices in Newegg and see if they are competive, considering Centaurus will be assembling it all.