Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG rescue still scanning 24hrs later

• Please log in to reply

strali

strali

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

My laptop (toshiba a300, vista) is not booting due to suspected malware attack, i refered to malware removal guides here and made a AVG rescue cd to scan machine and hopefully rectify my problems but since starting the rescue disk scan its still scanning 25hrs later...

Is this normal...?

As i thought it would be a similar scan to the normal anti virus scan that takes under an hour.

Advertisements

strali

strali

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The scan did finish then i performed the next steps outlined in the process of renaming the infected files, upon rebooting machine then same error code BSoD appeared, retried in safe mode, PC failed to start up, same error code, restarted again to which windows error recovery window appeared, launch system repair (recommended) or start windows normally.

I have initiated the sys repair utility to which i now have a blank (black) screen with a white cursor, the system recovery options screen has popped up but the operating system field remains blank and when i click load drivers i have no idea where to look.

I also tried to boot machine off OTLPEstd.exe rescource disk but same error code BSoD came up
error code 0x000000ED (0x977D7850, 0xC0000185, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

strali

strali

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
after wasting 4 days waiting for a reply i think i might go make use of the multiple computer shops in my local area and pay for them to rectify my problems, thanks for nothing.