Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Time Gaming Build - Advice Appreciated

• Please log in to reply

MoebiusNoir

MoebiusNoir

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, this is my first post here. I am building my first scratch built computer, i have a little bit of computer knowhow, but advice is appreciated. This is meant to be a gaming rig, not a super fancy one, just a humble one that i am paying for with my EMA ( im in high school)

My List of planned parts:

- AMD Phenom II X4 840T @2.9GHZ
- ASROCK AM3 880GMH / USB3 M-ATX 5200MT/s
- PALIT Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 1GB DDR5 Graphics Card
- SAMSUNG SERIAL 1TB F3 7200 32MB
- Hypertec 2GB DDR3 1333 Mhz CAS 9 Single Channel Desktop Memory (X2 so 4 gigs)
- 22" Blue-H Designed by Hyundai Widescreen TFT TV / Monitor

i still need to figure out what case and cables etc - any tips wanted.

So far, i have the monitor and a 400W PSU

My main aim for this pc is to be able to play new games like Arkham City, and Skyrim, in good graphic quality.

Anyhow, please rate and comment, and give advice :D

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hi MoebiusNoir :D
What you have put together up to now looks ok but we need some info on the present 400W PSU, make and model please, your proposed GFX card requires a minimum 400W PSU, this does not give you any headroom for anything else, the card also requires 22A on the 12V rail.

i still need to figure out what case and cables etc - any tips wanted

You need to provide a budget.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
This may also assist
http://www.scan.co.u...ProductFeatures

I am building my FIRST scratch built computer
Hope you do not mind some very basic advice.
1. Carefully select your case, that graphics card is not low profile and you could find with some cases that the card impinges on the drive removal depending on layout., not a tremendous problem, but you do not really want to have to take out the graphics if you want access to the HDD.
2. Even more basic - take proper anti-static precautions - a wrist strap - static discharge is cheap and ideal.
4. Check and CHECK again, your motherboard mounting - you will not be the first to lose a motherboard on first power -up.
5. Ideally match the case ot the motherboard - this has advantages
a. You know that the front USB and audio and anything else will have cable terminations to match the headers on the board, again you would not be the first to connect the audio or more fatally the usb if not a block connector to the header and find that you have the ground and live the wrong way round.
b. You know that the motherboard is going to locate correctly for the mounting postions.
6. If it is a quality case, problems are unlikely, avoid the cheap all riveted pressed case.
7. If you buy any components barebone, remember they will not come with cables or mounting screws.- ie the HDD
8. Do NOT forget if the thermal compund is pre-applied to remove the protective film before seating the CPU and cooler. It is a common mistake on first build.
9. Before power up on motherboard and CPU, to check post, check AGAIN all your connections.
10. Esnure all components properly seated - ram is a favourite to not seat clips correctly.
11. Although that graphics card has its own fan, ensure adequate case fans.

Finally read this excellent guide published here on Geeks to Go.
http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/

Good luck with the build

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 March 2011 - 05:05 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
If you still require help please give details for your selected PSU.

MoebiusNoir

MoebiusNoir

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the advice, it is usefull. Macboatmaster - you just saved me a bunch of money on my graphics card - thanks! :D

Erm... im not sure what make the PSU is, i cant get at it right now, all i know its that its 400W or above, although if it turns out to not be enough, then i can always get another one.
(if the GPU needs 400W by itself, then does that mean ill need more watts for everything else?)

My budget is around £400. :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
No the max GPU power requirement is 106 Watts- it is on the link I sent -tech specs

Maximum GPU Power:106W

calculate psu needed
http://www.journeysy...m/power_supply/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 March 2011 - 01:11 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
You still need to let us know what brand the PSU is.

Some cheap brands may not be good enough even though they say 400w.

You need to know how many Amps on the 12v rails, rails.
If it is 400w peak or continuous.

Edited by iammykyl, 19 March 2011 - 12:49 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
The advice given by both iammykyl and Macboatmaster is sound and for the following reasons the PSU capabilities have been emphasised;

Macboatmaster
No the max GPU power requirement is 106 Watts- it is on the link I sent -tech specs

Card manufacturers advise a minimum output PSU because GFX cards can be very demanding on power resources, this is not dependant on how long and what type of usage/performance the GFX is called upon to produce, your GFX card requires 106W be available at all times to ensure stable performance and by recommending a PSU with a minimum 400W output capability allowance has been made for other possible installed components such as optical/HDDs and printers etc, an under-powered GFX card will cause problems from the moment you power up with failure to complete POST (power on self test) resulting in a black screen as a typical consequence.

iammykyl
Some cheap brands may not be good enough even though they say 400w.

Agreed, no name brands are potential ticking time bombs, as an example for how long is the PSU capable of producing a stable 400W output? Quality named brands such as Antec, Coolermaster and Corsair as examples have PSUs with a stable maximum output ability of between 80 or 85% of the time, I would always recommend using a PSU with this standard of performance.