Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Long Blinking Cursor

• Please log in to reply

funkmastersquirrel

funkmastersquirrel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I will definitely try that since everything has tested out okay thus far. I might run the Dell Diag Utility first just because I believe I was even getting that long blinking cursor prior to installation and/or during. Either way I will report back my findings as soon as I can. In the middle of a roadtrip so its been quite hard to stay on top of this and troubleshoot directly to the issue without interruption. lol

Side note; I really do appreciate the help rshaffer. Thanks a lot buddy! Seems you and I have the same troubleshooting process but its always good to talk a problem out. Again I greatly appreciate the help.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and I like to know what is causing the issue not just fix the issue.

I might run the Dell Diag Utility first just because I believe I was even getting that long blinking cursor prior to installation and/or during

Good ideal :D

funkmastersquirrel

funkmastersquirrel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Well Ive ran the diag and did a fresh install on a new HDD and still.....wait for it......LONG BLINKING CURSOR! lol Man this is frustrating. Any more ideas?! Maybe something in bios even though I reset to default after a bios update?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me ask are you using the original genuine OS disk or are you using the copied file you made?

funkmastersquirrel

funkmastersquirrel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Original.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok something is not right here then. Does the installation format the existing drive first?
Did you have it delete the existing partition and resetup everything or just install?

funkmastersquirrel

funkmastersquirrel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
This is the thing. It's not the HDD or install. It's doing it right after the Dell splash. For instance Dell boot options by hitting F12...long boot then the options to boot HDD cd USB yadda yadda. Same thing when pressing F2 to bios. ATM I have the laptop apart. Down to mobo. Heat sink didn't seem to be seated good. Also gonna add more thermal paste. Sorry about the format of this. On the iPhone.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I understand but the Dell Splash screen is from the bios. Once it passes that it is hitting the hd for the windows installation. That means the issue is something to do with the installation.
When you go to do the installation is it recognizing the hd and a partition?
Is it asking if you want to install it to a certain partition or what?

funkmastersquirrel

funkmastersquirrel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Im not sure at this point in time. I had my Gf install it today while I was at work to another HDD. Looks as though she didn't delete partions prior as these were setup as external HDDs prior and I can see old data from them. Perhaps write zeros to HDD then reinstall? Even during install before it finalizes the is install and does the reboot it gets that long blinking cursor.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As far as method we use the most that would be Derricks Boot and Nuke or commonly called DBAN located HERE. It is the best at competely wiping a drive clean.

Advertisements

funkmastersquirrel

funkmastersquirrel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Cool burning now. I did notice the thread the heatsink screwed into through the mobo to bottom Plastic was stripped. Filling with JB weld and will resecure and apply new thermal paste. Then run DBAN. Then reinstall.

Edited by funkmastersquirrel, 29 March 2011 - 08:42 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest getting rid of all partitions you see on that drive and then start completely over with the tutorial so your installation disks sets up the new partition. Then format it using NTFS, and finally doing the actual install. ANY errors take note of them and I mean any at all while installation is going on.
Maybe we can narrow this down to the actual point it goes goofy. :D

funkmastersquirrel

funkmastersquirrel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Well.....Rshaffer.....I love you! Almost more than my lady! lol...... I had the thing apart, reseated the WLAN, MODEM and other odds and ends that are connected to this laptop. Made sure the heatsink was properly seated as well. The one of the 4 screws over the processor was stripped. Its rebooting from desktop to back to desktop in about 20 secs flat. Didnt have to run the DRAN at all but I am glad I have that now. Probably will run it on all my free drives now. I really do appreciate this a lot and if you are ever in the Knoxville or Nashville area please hit me up. I owe you a few beers. Thanks a million!!!

***UPDATE***

Restarted a few more times since this post...4 to be exact. FLAWLESS!!! I must say of all my experience I have never had this big of an issue or greater success. I think I am going to scan these forums and help more so than I have before in the past 7 years ive been a memeber. Sometimes it does just take another person to work an issue out and keep your mind clear and on the right track. Again, your help has been most appreciated. I will post back tomorrow morning after its off for a few hours to see what the outcome is then!

Edited by funkmastersquirrel, 29 March 2011 - 11:12 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well I appreciate the offer but I quit drinking 5 years ago and don't miss it.
Now one of our Admin lives out in Knoxville so you can buy him a drink for me if you ever run into him.
I am so glad I could play a small part in helping you resolve the issue. You did a great job in playing detective and running down the issue with the heatsink and TIM replacement. :D

Congratulations funkmastersquirrel. ;) for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D :D
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible