Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't get on internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Bailey89

Bailey89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK, I have the Start icon, but it's just not loading up - in safe mode or otherwise. Is there an alternative tool I can use? Maybe whatever's wrong with my computer is stopping it from running?

Advertisements

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hi Bailey89,

Leave AVP for now. Do you have Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 installation disk?

You have lot of changed system files and I would like to replace them.

Bailey89

Bailey89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No Maliprog, I'm afraid I don't. Is it something I can download a copy of?

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hi Bailey89,

There is no easy way we can do this without installation disk :D. Let's try DR.Web...

Download Dr.Web CureIt to the desktop:
ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/cureit/drweb-cureit.exe
  • Doubleclick the drweb-cureit.exe file and click Scan to run express scan. Click OK in pop-up window to allow scan.
  • This will scan the files currently running in memory and when something is found, click the Yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it. This is only a short scan.
  • Once the short scan has finished, select Complete scan.
  • Complete scan sometimes takes up to 3 hours to finish so please be patient.
  • Click the green arrow Posted Image at the right, and the scan will start.
  • Click Yes to all if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
  • When the scan has finished, in the menu, click File and choose Save report list
  • Save the report to your desktop. The report will be called DrWeb.csv
  • Close Dr.Web Cureit.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • Copy and paste that log in the next reply. You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report.

NOTE. During the scan, pop-up window will open asking for full version purchase. Simply close the window by clicking on X in upper right corner.

Bailey89

Bailey89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Maliprog,

I'm just posting quickly to make sure this thread doesn't get closed. I haven't got the logs for you yet because I haven't had much time to look at my laptop - my son, partner and myself have all been ill so it's been a pretty bad week.

Thanks for being patient,

-Bailey89

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hi Bailey89,

Thank you for letting me know. Post your logs when you finish with the scan. Get well soon!

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.