Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Not Shutting Down properly and Also bad boot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Tomk

Tomk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 211 posts
Can you try another startup repair?

Advertisements

dtekka

dtekka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
So I tried a start up repair and the windows dialog said that there was nothing found wrong with start up. It said if I have plugged in a device recently like an audio device or external card of some sort to remove it and restart the computer. I did not do anything like that. So very strange it seems. I wonder what this could be. Maybe a computer defect?

Tomk

Tomk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 211 posts
Do you have any devices plugged into your computer? External drives, etc.?

dtekka

dtekka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
no sir

Tomk

Tomk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 211 posts
dtekka,

Support for Vista SP1 ended about a year ago. Let's get you updated to SP2.

Click Start in the lower left of your screen. Click on All programs and the Windows Update.

Select Check for updates.

After updates are downloaded, install it (or them) then let me know how it's going.

dtekka

dtekka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
ok, did that... Still same thing. It's not that huge of a deal. I researched it a bit and saw that a lot of people are having similar issues, maybe something hardware related?

Tomk

Tomk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 211 posts
dtekka,

I'm thinking it's probably a software issue... but as you said, there are a rash of computers out there running vista and acting the same way... and some had hardware issues.

Let's clean-up.

Time for some housekeeping
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type ComboFix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK.
  • Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.
  • Posted Image
The above procedure will:
  • Implement some cleanup procedures.
  • Reset System Restore.

• Double click on OTL to run it.
  • Click on CleanUp!
  • When done, you will be prompted to restart your computer. Please restart your computer.

Please re-enable any security that was disabled.

The following is my standard advice for the future. Use what you can and pat yourself on the back for what you're already doing.

Please take time to read Preventing Malware - Tools and Practices for Safe Computing. Very important information for your consideration is contained therein.

I would also suggest you read this:
So how did I get infected in the first place?
by Tony Klein

Also: "How to prevent malware"
by miekiemoes

Please respond back that you understand the above and let me know if you have any questions. Otherwise, this thread will be closed Resolved. :thumbup:

Tomk

Tomk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 211 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :D

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

dtekka

dtekka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
So I needed to re-open this because I am now getting an error while trying to open an exe, be it mozilla firefox or some other program. Internet explorer was not affected for some reason. I get a prompt that says "the file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Association control panel" I have not even used the computer since you last made your post.

dtekka

dtekka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
face palm... i asked anyone if they had touched the computer, and my brother accidentally opened and closed combofix right away.
i just re-ran combofix completely and now the problem is gone. sorry, about that.

Thanks again!

Advertisements

Tomk

Tomk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 211 posts
dtekka,

You need to run the uninstall routine or ComboFix won't finish it's job. Also, your restore points won't be reset.

I'll leave this topic open a day or two just in case. :D

dtekka

dtekka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Ok, i did all of the un-installs and everything is good to go.

Tomk

Tomk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 211 posts
Cool.

I'll close this again in a day or so if I don't hear from you.

Tomk

Tomk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 211 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :D

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.