Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about Computer Administrators

• Please log in to reply

silkzipp

silkzipp

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I was given an older computer that had two admin accounts on it, I didn't know the passwords so I started the computer in safe mode and changed the passwords and signed on. I deleted one of the accounts and the files associated with them, opened my own admin account in order to delete the other. Everytime I attempted to delete the other account and files, I kept getting a message stating that the program was not responding....end program mshta.exe. After rebooting, the account was gone, but there are files still located in Documents and Settings. Files that include: java, jpi_cache, contacts, favorites, documents, system, .plugin141_02.trace, resetlog, ijavaws, desktop, start menu, windows, ntusr, app data, arinthood, templates, local settings, net hood, send to and ntuser.dat. totaling 70.6mb in all. Also in Documents and Settings are files in my name, owner and administrator.

1) Can I delete the files in the deleted account name?
2) What files would be in owner and administrator, if I am the only computer administrator now listed in users?
3) When I log on, the only option given is my account.
4) At the start, it states "turn off Administration", who does this refer to?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Firstly welcome to Geeks to Go.

However one of our site rules is
  • Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc.
I appreciate that what you are asking does not fall exactly within this rule. However I believe it to be within the meaning of it.

in view of this and your opening remark

was given an older computer that had two admin accounts on it, I didn't know the passwords so I started the computer in safe mode and changed the passwords and signed on.

and because we have no way of verifying the legitmacy of your posession of the computer, although it is important to stress, that this does not imply that we are suggesting you are NOT in legal possession of it, simply that we cannot know.

It is therefore with regret that I feel unable to advice on this matter.

I have notified a moderator of your post and he will make the decision.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 March 2011 - 02:18 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First off is this a name brand system like Dell or HP?
If it is what make and model is it?
Is there a sticker somewhere on the outside saying what OS was originally installed on the system?
If custom build then what OS is installed and did you receive any of the installation disks?
Why not just format and start completely over from a fresh install to make sure it is only your information then?

silkzipp

silkzipp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I completely understand if you are unable to respond to my question. For what its worth, this was one of several old computers that had been stored for years at the recreation club my spouse belongs to and was offered to him. The office staff that used these, are no longer around, so I'm unable to go to them for help. To be honest, the files remaining on the computer don't affect its function, I just thought I would clean it up. In the event you are able to assist me, the computer is a old Compaq Presario Model#5340 CA with XP Home installed and I do not have the disc.
If this post is against forum rules, my apology.

Edited by silkzipp, 15 March 2011 - 03:17 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Your option for - back to supply state appears to be here.
Turn on the computer and immediately begin pressing the F10 key repeatedly until a Recovery Screen appears.

That of course depends on if during its life the recovery partition has been deleted.

Before commencing this, I would strongly advise a complete image of the drive, otherwise if it goes wrong you will face more involved problems without an install CD>

You may find this useful
http://h10025.www1.h...6&lang=en&cc=us

Pls note for 5340CX - could not locate CA, pls enter your location I searched USA

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 March 2011 - 07:08 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry I was away for a bit. Try the recovery instructions from above. If not then there is always a possibility of purchasing a set of recovery disks from Compaq if they have them. These usually run about 30 USD from past people who have gotten them.

silkzipp

silkzipp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The Recovery Partition that you speak of, is that what "SYSTEM_SAV (D) is? I have never seen anything like that on any computers I have used before, only local drive ©.
If this is the case, a scan of this indicates a virus located which states, Warning: This file was not deleted because it is an archive. If this archive contains files you want to keep, extract the good files from the archive using your archive utility (WinZip for example), and then delete the archive. When extracting your files, make sure real-time protection is turned on.

Virus Trojan.Generic.3284097

I unzipped the folder, Scanned: 11 item(s) File: C:\unzipped\227738\appl.zip\oobe\data2.cab Warning: This file was not deleted because it is an archive. If this archive contains files you want to keep, extract the good files from the archive using your archive utility (WinZip for example), and then delete the archive. When extracting your files, make sure real-time protection is turned on.

Virus Trojan.Generic.3284097

I didn't unzip the data2 file, but if this is the recovery partition, how would deleting this file affect it and deleting it from the unzipped folder wouldn't remove it from its original location anyway, would it? If it is the recovery partition, would it be okay to/safer to attempt to obtain the discs instead and delete the the entire (D) and use it for additional space to save/install additional files/programs?

Thanks again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If there is a chance of a virus on that recovery partition before continuing.
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here