Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reported Memory Does Not Match Amount of Installed Memory - REWARD!

• Please log in to reply

WestCoazt

WestCoazt

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi!

I started having a weird problem 1 week ago.
I normally run 6x2GB of ram, but now I got a problem, the computer won't start while all the 6 ram slots are filled (It does power up but it doesn't get anywhere in the early stages of the booting process), I'm only able to start the computer by running with 5/6 ram slots filled or less. (5x2gb)
So I'm starting the computer with a total of 10 gb ram (5x2gb) but in the windows taskmanager/BIOS menu, it only shows there's a total of 6141mb ram available, though, if I use a program like CPU-Z or take a look in the Windows Control Panel, it states that there's a total of 10gb ram.
I've already tested all of the ram sticks in another computer and they showed not to be the problem, I've tried resetting bios (by taking the onboard battery out), tried every possible combination with the 5 ram sticks in the 6 slots.
I've been looking around in the BIOS, but sadly I lack the knowledge, I got no clue what each function do. Any setting disabling some of the ram?
I've been searching the internet for some time but I haven't been able to find a solution.

I recently replaced my CPU cooler as the CPU got way too hot, I also replaced my PSU as the previous one suddenly crashed.
I don't know if what mentioned above, has anything to do with my current problem, though this ram problem seems to have occurred right after the PSU crashed.

Is there anything left to try, or is what I need a new motherboard?

I'm willing to pay 100$ (Paypal) to anyone who might know, or could figure out a solution for this problem!

System specs:
Windows Vista, 64-bit.
Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
i7 920
GTX 580
6x2GB Kingston Ram (KVR1333D3N9/2GB)

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by WestCoazt, 15 March 2011 - 09:29 PM.

Advertisements

SgtSama

SgtSama

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
From what I understand, Vista x64 Basic only supports 8GB of RAM. I'm not sure if that's the version you have, and even if you do, it would be odd that it's reading 10. The next step above that is a 16GB limit, so I can't say for sure that it's related to your operating system, but I'm sure someone else here can.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I've already tested all of the ram sticks in another computer and they showed not to be the problem,

How did you test them?
Just installing in another system and they work is not a reliable way to test. You should test them using memtest86.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

WestCoazt

WestCoazt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
@SgtSama, as I said, I have always been running 12GB ram without any problems!

@rshaffer61 Yeah, I've tested all the ram (not using memtest, but by starting the computer with only some of the ram)
If I only start the computer with 1x2GB, it acts the same way as if I had all the ram plugged in (not starting properly). But if I plug in from 4-10GB it starts. I've started the computer with every combination with the ram there is, no luck.
I've also tested the ram in another computer, they all worked perfectly.

Some extra info: If I got 2x2GB plugged in it shows as 2GB and not 4GB. If I got 4x2gb plugged in it shows as 4GB plugged in. 5x2GB plugged in, shows as 6gb.
There is a signal telling my computer the correct amount of ram plugged in, as I'm able to see all of it in CPU-Z, Control Panel, and other programs. But the Taskmanager/BIOS does not show/use the correct amount!

Edited by WestCoazt, 16 March 2011 - 08:49 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

If I got 2x2GB plugged in it shows as 2GB and not 4GB

Are you putting the memory in the same color slots when doing this?
In other words 2 of the blue slots?

WestCoazt

WestCoazt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah. I'm doing it in the correct slots according to the gigabyte manual.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Push and hold the Windows key on keyboard. This is the one with the Microsft windows logo on it.
While holding Win key down click on the Pause\Break key

This should open the System properties window
On this window it will show

System info:

Microsoft Windows: type and version
Service Pack number

Registered Name
Register Number

Computer:
CPU type
Memory
I need all the above info in your next reply Except for Register name and number.
This is private and we don't need to know this information

WestCoazt

WestCoazt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 2

Cpu: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHz
Ram: 10,0 GB
Systemtype: 64-bit OS

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Showing 10 gigs there and is that what you currently have installed?

WestCoazt

WestCoazt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah, I got 10gigs installed right now (5x2gb)
The Taskmanager/BIOS only shows 6141mb.
If I fill the last slot making it 12gb (6x2gb) the computer won't start, it powers up but doesn't get anywhere in the early stages of the starting process.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The Taskmanager/BIOS only shows 6141mb.

Is that total, available or free?

If I fill the last slot making it 12gb (6x2gb) the computer won't start, it powers up but doesn't get anywhere in the early stages of the starting process.

If you exchange one of the slots with the other 2 gig memory module does the system then boot ok no matter what combination of 5 memory modules you use? It only freaks when you use that last slot?

WestCoazt

WestCoazt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It's the total.

Yeah, any combination with the 5x2gb works, aslong as one of them is in Slot Number 1.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm this is starting to look like the last memory slot is bad.

WestCoazt

WestCoazt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Isn't there any bios setting that is relevant to this problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you know what bios version you have?
Take a look HERE and look at version F11 0.72 MB 2010/02/06
It states it adds 1. Enhanced memory compatibility .