Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will This Motherboard/CPU Combo Work?

• Please log in to reply

Falcon0365

Falcon0365

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is pretty basic, but I've never had to replace my motherboard before so I just want to make sure I get this right before I waste my money. What do you guys think of installing this CPU into this motherboard?

My primary concern is whether or not I have to worry about screws when mounting the heatsink/fan. Also, if someone could point out any other big issues that I may have missed, that would be great.

Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi Falcon0365 :D
Whilst the CPU would work in the MB you would not enjoy the full potential the processor has to offer.
Without knowing your budget or whether you already have DDR2 Ram you wish to utilise in your proposed MB I have provided a link to what is in my opinion a far better MB for a little over $10 more http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130254
A couple of benefits of the MB I have suggested include, faster Ram capabilities up to a maximum of 16GB and peace of mind fitting the AM3 CPU, HS and fan into an AM3 MB.

Also, if someone could point out any other big issues that I may have missed, that would be great.

I have only been able to offer an opinion on the points you have mentioned above, but if you have any other questions feel free to ask and we will be happy to help.
I would suggest you take the time to read the tutorial put together by Troy and Artellos to help you prepare and carry out your upgrade http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/
Good luck and let us know how it goes or if we can help.

Falcon0365

Falcon0365

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help.

Yeah I'm aware of the RAM issue, but unfortunately I am trying to save the DDR2 RAM from my old motherboard without having to buy some DDR3 sticks. Otherwise, I would definitely take your advice and go with the MB you linked.

Also, thanks for the tutorial links. I'll probably have my more-computer-savvy friend on-hand to walk me through the installation process, but I'll definitely review the tutorials so I know what I'm doing.

Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the help.

Yeah I'm aware of the RAM issue, but unfortunately I am trying to save the DDR2 RAM from my old motherboard without having to buy some DDR3 sticks. Otherwise, I would definitely take your advice and go with the MB you linked.

Also, thanks for the tutorial links. I'll probably have my more-computer-savvy friend on-hand to walk me through the installation process, but I'll definitely review the tutorials so I know what I'm doing.

Thanks again!

You are welcome :D
I had a feeling you had DDR2 Ram already, would you consider saving up more funds and upgrading the MB, CPU, and Ram!
You could then sell your previous components as a bundle to recoup some of your outlay.
Anyhow whichever upgrade option you choose good luck with it and let us know when you are up and running.