Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Samsung SH-S223L DVD drive won't read commerical DVDs

• Please log in to reply

kvilbor

kvilbor

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've just put together my first build (a challenge I gave myself after my laptop crashed and burned, but I'll admit I didn't always know exactly what I was doing) and I'm having problems with my DVD drive.

I installed the Samsung SH-S223L DVD writer into my case, and it started off just fine. Windows 7 installed fine, all my driver discs worked fine, etc. But it won't play commercial DVDs. It reads software, plays commercial and burned CDs, plays burned DVDs, and recognizes blank CDs and DVDs, but if I put in a movie, it spins, then makes a weird "creaking" noise and just keeps trying to read it (and failing).

It's set to Region 1, I updated the firmware, and I tried reinstalling the drive and IDE controllers, but still no luck! Help, please?

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Windows media player and windows media centre are not the best to use

You could update your codecs but which ones ??

Or try Best free media player is VLC

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

kvilbor

kvilbor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The media player has nothing to do with it... it won't even read or recognize the commercial DVDs. When I put a disc in, it spins and makes a squealing noise as it tries to read, but as far as Windows is concerned there is no disc in the drive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What about any other dvd, does it read them?