Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection Nightmare

• Please log in to reply

blackbeard

blackbeard

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
HI All,

I use a Scientific Atlantic Webstar Cable Modem to connect to the internet via USB and in the past 4 days following the latest Service Pack Update for XP SP3 (My system is bang up to date) I have had a total nightmare connecting to the Internet. I feel this is totally due to Microsoft and their ever decreasingly damaging Service Pack Updates.

Because of this and the total commitment to not following this horrific tratition with the monsters to come including Longhorn and IE7.0 I have recently installed Suse Linux 9.3 and using the same modem but connected via ethernet I can access the net just fine - thereby bearing out my case that the service pack is to blame.

I have uninstalled the modem and all the USB connections etc under windows safe mode - rebooted and reinstalled all the drivers and the modem (including the updated driver for the same) and still have the problem. I can connect for a second or two and then the connection continuously times out forcing me to right click my connection and repair. This procedure gives me about another 30 seconds connectivity then I have to repeat the right click procedure.

Has anyone out there been experiencing the same and do you know how to correct this problem?

Would appreciate any help you might be able to contribute

Thanks in Advance

- Blackbeard

Advertisements

blackbeard

blackbeard

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Correction: .......ever INCREASINGLY damaging Service Packs

- Whats the use of all the security when the service packs dont allow you to connect to the internet? Nice one Microsoft!!!!!

blackbeard

blackbeard

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
More info:

I checked out my system event log and find a TCPIP error #4226.

I followed the link to Microsofts Technical page and oppend cmd.

I ran Netstat -no as suggested and here's an extract from the output

C:\Netstat -no

Active Connections

Proto  Local Address  Foreign Address  State  PID
TCP  127.0.0.1:1033  127.0.0.1:51010  ESTABLISHED	2076
TCP  127.0.0.1:1052  127.0.0.1:1051  TIME WAIT	0
TCP  127.0.0.1:51010  127.0.0.1.1033  ESTABLISHED	1580
TCP  200.82.219.34:1030	200.82.219.34:1028	TIME WAIT	0
TCP  200.82.219.34:1074	62.212.164.38:443	SYN_SENT	2076
TCP  200.82.219.34:1075	62.212.164.38:80	SYN_SENT	2076
TCP  200.82.219.34:1076	200.86.204.38:443	SYN_SENT	2076

I then opened the system process tab as suggested by CTRL + Alt + DEL

and tried to match the PID to the events listed - but that's yet another Microsoft wild goose chase. Where the F*** are the PID numbers they suggest. (Process ID Numbers).

Micro$oft - A waste of F***ing time!!!

- Blackbeard

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Not sure if this little utility will help but try port explorer:

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/ (free download)

Port Explorer allows you to see all the open ports on your system and what programs own them (called Port to Process mapping). Along with this ability it also has many tools including a packet sniffer, bandwidth throttling and country detection all in an easy to use graphical interface.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Better yet......this one opoens in cmd and is very small application.

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/openports/

DiamondCS OpenPorts is a CLI (command line interface/console) tool that allows you to see all open TCP and UDP ports on your system, including the owner process. Using advanced port-to-process mapping technology developed for Port Explorer, OpenPorts is powerful, accurate, and reliable, and results can be displayed in five different styles, allowing for easy interpretation by both scripts and human eyes.

Edited by djgotee, 28 May 2005 - 06:13 PM.

ong2lua

ong2lua

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

HI All,

I use a Scientific Atlantic Webstar Cable Modem to connect to the internet via USB and in the past 4 days following the latest Service Pack Update for XP SP3 (My system is bang up to date) I have had a total nightmare connecting to the Internet. I feel this is totally due to Microsoft and their ever decreasingly damaging Service Pack Updates.

Because of this and the total commitment to not following this horrific tratition with the monsters to come including Longhorn and IE7.0 I have recently installed Suse Linux 9.3 and using the same modem but connected via ethernet I can access the net just fine - thereby bearing out my case that the service pack is to blame.

I have uninstalled the modem and all the USB connections etc under windows safe mode - rebooted and reinstalled all the drivers and the modem (including the updated driver for the same) and still have the problem. I can connect for a second or two and then the connection continuously times out forcing me to right click my connection and repair. This procedure gives me about another 30 seconds connectivity then I have to repeat the right click procedure.

Has anyone out there been experiencing the same and do you know how to correct this problem?

Would appreciate any help you might be able to contribute

Thanks in Advance

- Blackbeard

View Post

I already have so much problem with service pack 2 and now come service pack 3 that's even worst? Gee! I think i'll have to switch to Linux. I agree with you. "Fuk Microsoft" :tazz:
Well anyway, i've experience with dropping signal on my wireless network, but i'm not sure if it's the same problem you are having. After i set the wireless router back to Channel 6 for broadcasting, it fixed the problem. I hope this information helps any.