Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEW 300MBPS ADAPTER - ONLY 72MBPS?

• Please log in to reply

Pawanhammers

Pawanhammers

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Hi, I only get 72MBPS, from my new USB WIRELESS - N ADAPTER 300MBPS I ordered... which is weird... I think something went wrong in the settings. Please help. Thanks,

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Please provide complete specifications for (1) your computer, (2) the adapter, (3) the WAP - wireless access point (or wireless network device your computer is connecting to).

Pawanhammers

Pawanhammers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
1) My Computer is a DELL SX270. 2) The adapter is a Realtek RTL8191SU. 3) My computer is connecting to a router called BT Homehub 3.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Is that the only computer on your network? Do other computers work fine? Are all devices 11n? If not, since that is not a "simultaneous dual band" wireless router, it may be toggling down to the slowest device on your network.

Also, do make sure your system is fee of malware.

Pawanhammers

Pawanhammers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
No, it is not the only computer on my network. The other computers also only go up to 72MBPS :/, like mine, they are wireless N too. The setting on the router is 'Wireless N 40 MHZ', and my system is definitely virus-free, and all my devices are 11n, but the printer, i don't know what that is.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
There are a lot of things that can affect performance. From what I can tell, the max speed of your router is 100mb/s. You average 72mb/s. I bet you have an 8mb connection? Unless you went with a better router, I don't see anything wrong. Other than not seeing the performance measurement you desire, are you experiencing any other issues?