Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Custom Built PC Randomly Freezes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Ascrivener

Ascrivener

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently received that parts for the desktop that I wanted to build. The Specs are:
ECS A890GXM-A AMD 890GX Socket AM3 Motherboard

AMD Athlon II X4 640 3Ghz AM3 CPU

EVGA GeForce GTS 450 1GB GDDR5 PCIe

Corsair Vengeance 4GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz

Ultra LSP650 650w Power Supply

Seagate 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G

ASUS 24X DVDRW SATA OEM

I put it together and made sure everything was plugged in correctly. I turned it on and put in a Windows 7 Home Premium burnt disc. I chose the hdd, which was unallocated space up to this point, and clicked format and install Windows. At 64% the system locked up and I had to hard reset to get it to respond. I did tried the installation again and it went through. After I installed the drives for the motherboard and graphics card, via discs, I installed the drivers for a usb wireless device. It decided to freeze once again while just sitting idle at the desktop. I hard reset again and tried to update drives through the web. When I started to download drivers it locked up. I took out the ram and moved it to DIMM 3, it was in DIMM 1, and rechecked my thermal paste and cpu seating. I turned it on and it worked all the way up to the point of me installing Halo 2 Vista and playing 20-30 minutes in.
I have absolutely no idea what is the source of the problem. I tried a different hard drive and it froze as well.I have my monitor plugged in through the graphics card and am using the orange SATA cables for my dvd drive and HDD. I also did a mem86 test and the memory passed.
If you guys have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I turned it on and put in a Windows 7 Home Premium burnt disc

Where did the disk and OS come from?

I turned it on and it worked all the way up to the point of me installing Halo 2 Vista and playing 20-30 minutes in.

Same question as above

Ascrivener

Ascrivener

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a physical copy of Halo 2 Vista, and the Windows came from an ISO image that was downloaded via peer networking. I have my product key that is valid just not a disc.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I have my product key that is valid just not a disc.

Where did the key come from?

Ascrivener

Ascrivener

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Where did the key come from?

From the computer that I am replacing with this one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Was the system you are replacing a branded system like Dell, Compaq or HP?
Was the OS preinstalled?

Ascrivener

Ascrivener

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Was the system you are replacing a branded system like Dell, Compaq or HP?
Was the OS preinstalled?

It is replacing a Dell and yes it was preinstalled.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK legally you cannot do that. The preinstalled installation and the key are what is called married to the Dell system. It cannot be installed on any other system.
You will need to purchase a new OS with lic or at the very least a new lic from Microsoft. At this point we cannot assist you with the issue for the following TOU violation.

We here at GeeksToGo will not assist you with issues relating to copied, pirated, or in any other way stolen programs. It is a direct violation of our TOS (Terms Of Service) to offer any assistance in this matter.

This thread has been reported to the Moderating Staff and should be closed shortly. If you have any questions about the TOU please contact a Moderator or Admin for clarification.