Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP will not start...hd accessible in other machine

• Please log in to reply

Neo31801

Neo31801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I will contact Seagate about the error and post the result here so others can see it if needed

On another note...out of boredom I deleted some of the file/folders while I had it as a slave drive and tried to format the drive

It actually formatted...its completely bare now

I ran the XP error checking program (D:/, properties,hardware,Error Check) and it passed...1st attempt wouldnt even start phase 1..this time passed all 4 phases, however when I rebooted with SeaTools the same error appeared.At least the drive is formatted, I feel better about handing it off to someone for recycling.

Will update when I hear from Seagate on the error code.

Thanks Again For Your Help!!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update and we will await your findings from Seagate. Then hopefully it will shed light on the exact issue. IMHO I think the drive needs to be replaced. :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Did you run it on both error checks.
As that is a five stage check including check for bad sectors.
That all said, I agree totally with rshaffer61, the drive has gone., as I said in post 13.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 March 2011 - 11:23 AM.

Neo31801

Neo31801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Heard back from Seagate

Thank you for contacting Seagate.

We have a lot of codes for Seatools, most of them we do not know what they mean or have the meaning on file. If its giving you a failure code, the drive just needs to be replaced. Other than that you are free to do whatever you wish with the drive since it is out of warranty.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
-- Seagate Tech Support

Drive is in the recycle pile lol

Thanks for your help once again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is both good and sad news.
Good you finally got a answer about the drive.
Bad you won't be able to get any data off it. Have you purchased a new drive and started the re-install of everything yet?

Neo31801

Neo31801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I did get all my stuff off the drive ...it works fine as a slave

I even re-ran Error Check on XP and it passed all 5 phases this time and finally got it to format...just get the error with SeaTools

And yes I won an auction for a smaller (40g) drive online for $3 lol ..everything is running fine now

thanks again...i always find the nicest and most informative help here!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Pleased it worked. Cannot understand that Seatools error report.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I will echo Macboatmasters comments and also say Congratulations. :D for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask once you get the other drive. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D ;)