Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WD elements external hd--one bad folder/file

• Please log in to reply

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Hi I have just one folder on my WD elements external hd that gives the following error when I try to click on it, open it, delete it, etc.: "the file or directory is corrupted or unreadable." I've checked around for what to do about this, but most trouble-shooting relates to when the whole drive is bad and won't open . . . . My problem seems to be w/ just this one folder. I guess I'm fine w/ either recovering this folder/file or finding how to simply delete it.

-The folder has (had) an .avi file that was open when I did a "hot unplug."
-So apparently it did not like that--though this is the first time I've ever encountered this kind of result.
-WD diagnostics says everything is OK and catches not one bad sector or any other errors.
-But Windows check disk (scan & recovery of bad sectors) will not complete past "phase 2."
-I guess it would be more comforting if I could get windows check disk to work on the external hd, too.
-But I'm not up for anything that may cause me to lose everything on the hd and/or reformat it. (Data is backed up, but there's just so much that I'd rather not go through a whole transfer when, again, it seems to be just one bad folder/file.)

Any advice? Thank you. As always, I sincerely appreciate the help here.

Sys. Dell Dim. 3000
Windows xp, service pack 3
Intel Pent. 4
512 MB RAM
WD Elements Ext. HD, # WDBAAR5000ABK (also listed as WD5000BEVT in WD diagnostics???)

Advertisements