Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with transferring pics and files to new pc

• Please log in to reply

jstblush

jstblush

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello,
I am getting a new pc and want to start out right. I want to know the best way to transfer my pictures and files from my old pc to my new pc. I bought a Belkin Easy Transfer Cable for Windows 7 and a Western Digital My Passport Essential SE portable hard drive. First question is if I use the Belkin transfer cable, will it also transfer viruses and errors to the new pc? I don't think I have any viruses, but you never know! And I definitely wouldn't want to infect the new pc from the get go! And I really don't want to transfer everything from the old pc. Is there a way to transfer just the things I want transferred? I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question.

Next question is if I put all my pictures on the portable drive, can I just transfer them from the portable drive to the new pc? I plan to use the portable drive as a backup for all my pictures and files, but still would like my pictures on the new pc so that they are in 2 places in case of a problem. Hope all this makes sense and doesn't sound too lame.

I don't have the new pc yet, but I do have the transfer cable and WD portable hard drive. The new pc is supposed to be here by April 7, 2011.

Thanks for any help and advice. Or you could point me to the right place if this is not the correct place to post this question.

Thank you,
Sherry

Advertisements

jstblush

jstblush

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
No advice or help for me?
Sherry

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

First question is if I use the Belkin transfer cable, will it also transfer viruses and errors to the new pc? I don't think I have any viruses, but you never know! And I definitely wouldn't want to infect the new pc from the get go!

Run a full scan on the system before transferring anything. To be double sure you can transfer a folder before you transfer it over.

Is there a way to transfer just the things I want transferred? I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question.

You can transfer just a folder of music, videos, pictures if that is all you want.

Next question is if I put all my pictures on the portable drive, can I just transfer them from the portable drive to the new pc? I plan to use the portable drive as a backup for all my pictures and files, but still would like my pictures on the new pc so that they are in 2 places in case of a problem. Hope all this makes sense and doesn't sound too lame.

Same as above question.

JasonWinTeam

JasonWinTeam

• Pip
  • 8 posts
If your computer is presently free of malware, you should be fine transferring files over to your new one. You can either copy files by transferring them to an external drive and then moving them to your new computer or you can take advantage of Windows Easy Transfer. Let us know how you move forward with this. You shouldn't encounter any difficulties.