Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no beep from boot

• Please log in to reply

WasabiJones

WasabiJones

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
So I bought my computer case about 5 years ago with intentions of building one someday, finally that day has come. With Newegg as my clerk, ive purchased an intel s3420gp motherboard, a 3.2 ghz i3 processor, 4 patriot 2gb ddr3 ram(pc3 10-600), radeon hd 5450 videocard with a gig of ram on it, a coolmax 700w power supply. i didnt benchmark it first, after installing it directly into my case and plugging everything in, i crossed my fingers and flipped the switch in the back. my motherboard had a green light come on, then i pressed the power button in the front and it came to life, all the fans are lighting up blue and spinning, processor fan is spinning, i can hear the hard drive and dvd drive spin.but no beeping comes from the internal speaker, and when i try using my sound card it doesnt make any difference, no beeps. so i tried to benchmark it, didnt have much leeway with the cords, but propping it up and having cardboard between the motherboard and case, i retried it again, but only got the same results... no beeping and still everything being powered. its been a week now and im getting very irritated at myself for not being able to figure this out

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi WasabiJones :D
Is the no POST beep your only issue or have you got no display either? See below for bench testing if also no display;
Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a bare bones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX, 1 stick of Ram the keyboard and mouse.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins.

EDIT: Just researched your MB and I noticed it uses diagnostic LEDs, is your MB a model that has an onboard speaker? One diagram shows a MB speaker the other one doesn`t, from your user manual;

6.1 Logo / Diagnostic Screen
The logo / Diagnostic Screen displays in one of two forms:
�� If Quiet Boot is enabled in the BIOS setup, a logo splash screen displays. By default,
Quiet Boot is enabled in the BIOS setup. If the logo displays during POST, press <Esc>
to hide the logo and display the diagnostic screen.
�� If a logo is not present in the flash ROM or if Quiet Boot is disabled in the system
configuration, the summary and diagnostic screen displays.
The diagnostic screen displays the following information:
�� BIOS ID
�� Platform name
�� Total memory detected (Total size of all installed DDR3 DIMMs)
�� Processor information (Intel branded string, speed, and number of physical processor
identified)
�� Keyboards detected (if plugged in)
�� Mouse devices detected (if plugged in)

http://download.inte...cv_tps_r2_1.pdf see section 1.1 Chapter Outline �� Appendix C – POST Code Diagnostic LED Decoder

Edited by phillpower2, 19 March 2011 - 09:08 AM.

WasabiJones

WasabiJones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
mb does not have an onboard speaker, it has a location designated but none there, im in process of removing and properly benchmarking at the moment. my primary issue was no display, with either the onboard moniter port or my pci express 16 pin ati videocard. also on at least one of my brass spacers i tightened it too much into the case and it just keeps spinning wont tighten all the way down, ill find out after the benckmark if that is a possibility, im just glad i also have a laptop next to this so i can read your help and work on the pc at the same time

WasabiJones

WasabiJones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
alright ive properly benchmarked, and have recieved the same prognosis, but using the decoder for my mb with my diagnostic lights

http://download.inte...cv_tps_r2_1.pdf
link to the decoder, im getting to 0xE8h in the table on the left hand side, once you get to the decoding section its on the top of the third or fourth page. in the dxe drivers section

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Ok so now we know why you got no beep/s albeit the potential error type.
If you get no display with the add on video card be sure to remove it before trying the onboard GFX port.

also on at least one of my brass spacers i tightened it too much into the case and it just keeps spinning wont tighten all the way down,

It is unlikely that this is causing the issue and removing a single stand off will not cause the MB to flex when it gets hot.
One final suggestion to make is try clearing the CMOS by removing the silver CR2032 battery on the MB for a few moments and then replace it, this will restore the MB to the default factory settings.

jpeg courtesy of rshaffer61.

EDIT: Sorry missed your last post, from page 89 of your user manual;
J1F2:
Password Clear
1-2 These pins should have a jumper in place for normal system operation. (Default)
2-3 If these pins are jumpered, administrator and user passwords are cleared within 5-10seconds after the system is powered on. These pins should not be jumpered for normal operation.
Is the jumper cap on the correct pins?

Edited by phillpower2, 19 March 2011 - 03:41 PM.

WasabiJones

WasabiJones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i have cleared CMOS for both a 10-15secs, and also for an hour or so, all four jumpers are set to 1-2, at first i didnt even see any jumpers and went to the store to buy some, only to see they just looked like different ones i had seen before.ive taken the add in video card out and decided to just see if the onboard would work. also tried eack stick of ram in my primary A1 ram slot on the mb, as pointed out in one of the pdf's i read online from intel. i only spent 24$ apiece on the patriot 2gb sticks, maybe they arent a good brand... idk i shopped around on newegg and seemed like a good deal but not the cheapies. as to the standoff, should i just not use it since i cant get the screw in all the way with the mb over it? i have a soundcard also that i could plug in but without the display showing i cant edit bios to exit quiet mode right? im not sure about that last one. I also really apprieciate your help with this, i work long hours and dont have a lot of free time between my family and my job. i hope to get to the bottom of this eventually!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Just for piece of mind. The stand off thread should poke out on the back of the plate and there may be enough there to thread on a suitable nut. You could cut down a stand off to form a nut.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

also tried eack stick of ram in my primary A1 ram slot on the mb

Was this done one stick at a time?

i only spent 24$ apiece on the patriot 2gb sticks, maybe they arent a good brand..

There is always a possibility you may receive bad Ram but there is also the possibility that the
MB just doesn't like the Ram or that the MB is bad, possibly the Ram slot/s.
Try removing all of the Ram and powering up, does the diagnostic display LED pattern change?
If it does it may suggest that the Ram is not the issue, let us know how the testing is going.

WasabiJones

WasabiJones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
when i tested my ram, it was one stick at a time and only in the A1 slot, and i still get the same code when i try to boot, so that means its not the ram right?also tried reseating the processor, maybe i didnt have it in just right, but to no avail, it must have been right since no change has occured

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

when i tested my ram, it was one stick at a time and only in the A1 slot,

Try another slot.

and i still get the same code when i try to boot, so that means its not the ram right?

If you mean trying it without any Ram fitted then no, it may actually confirm a Ram or slot issue.
If the signal had of changed when the Ram was removed it would be indicating another issue other than
the present one, if you were able to try another stick of Ram it would help.

Advertisements

WasabiJones

WasabiJones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
alright well i have a few long days ahead of me so ill test the other slots with each stick to see if i get any different codes, if so ill post then, tuesday morning, i can buy new ram if need be i just want what i have to work

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Is there a local comp store where you could take the MB and have them try some Ram in it.
As I said there may be nothing wrong with the Ram, your MB may just not like it.

WasabiJones

WasabiJones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
alright just got back from the local store, they tested each stick and they worked fine with another intel board, basically it just doesnt work with my board... so im going to purchase several kingston 2 gb sticks from the store i went to for 35$ apiece, maybe after i get the pc up and running it'll autoinstall the drivers for the others? i know windows is really good at that

if thats the case should i only buy one stick?

Edited by WasabiJones, 22 March 2011 - 05:48 PM.

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Maybe this would help.....

Looking at your mobo pdf you linked I see this

From page 19 (or 31 of the pdf):

􀁺 0xE8 - No Usable Memory Error: If no memory is available, the system emits POST
Diagnostic LED code 0xE8 and halts the system.
􀁺 0xE8 - Configuration Error: If a DDR3 DIMM has no SPD information, the BIOS treats
the DIMM slot as if no DDR3 DIMM is present on it. Therefore, if this is the only DDR3
DIMM installed in the system, the BIOS halts with POST Diagnostic LED code 0xE8 (no
usable memory) and halts the system

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

alright just got back from the local store, they tested each stick and they worked fine with another intel board, basically it just doesnt work with my board... so im going to purchase several kingston 2 gb sticks from the store i went to for 35$ apiece, maybe after i get the pc up and running it'll autoinstall the drivers for the others? i know windows is really good at that

if thats the case should i only buy one stick?

Sorry for the delay in posting back.
Did they also test your MB?
Matching pairs of Ram are known to be more stable.