Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

virginmedia unable to connect wirelessly

• Please log in to reply

yooser

yooser

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello,
I am hoping for some help to connect up my Toshiba Satellite L30-11D using Vista to my Virgin Netgear hub VMDG280,I can connect to the Internet using a cable but when I try to connect wirelessly it will not connect.I have tried the following;
Changed the wireless channel to 11,signal shows as excellent,
Downloaded Windows and Atheros AR500G latest software updates,
I have checked, as suggested ,by your forum,the wireless connectivity as follows;
Connection-specific DNS Suffix----------Blank
DCHP------------------------------------Yes
IPv4 Address----------------------------192.168.0.2 (preferred)
Subnet mask-----------------------------255.255.255.0
Default gateway ------------------------192.168.0.1
DCHP server-----------------------------192.168.0.1
DNS server-----------------------------194.168.4.100
I might add that I am not really very computer savvy !!I am learning each day ,so please any answer suitable for a first-timer !!
Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
do you still have the problem , as its logged 18th march

if so would you just confirm that adapter again - full number
is it a Atheros AR5007EG
do you have WPA or WPA2 security on the wireless router ?

yooser

yooser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello fellow member,( not sure of your name),
Thanks for your reply,the information you have requested is;Atheros AR5005G with driver version 7.3.1.61,the Virginmedia hub security is;WPA-PSK (TKIP) +WPA2-PSK ( AES ),I hope this makes sense to you as it doesn't to me!!!!
I have , again , downloaded the latest Windows and Atheros drivers.
I must apologise the delay in replying, but our daughter- in -law has just had a baby.
Thanks in advance,Neale

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
congratulations on the baby

Hello fellow member,( not sure of your name),

screen name ETAF
as its not the adapter that is causing lots of issues on WPA(2) and vista

lets see the following information - an xirrus screen shot - a tcp/ip reset and some PING tests - need ALL three

------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

If you receive the message
The requested operation requires elevation.
Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Post back the results here - we need to know these commands worked correctly
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.co...y/wifitools.php
Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.co...ad_redirect.php
Then run and install the program
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, http://www.bleepingc...topic14738.html

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

Ping Tests
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
Ping 192.168.0.1
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
post back results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Edited by etaf, 23 March 2011 - 12:00 PM.

yooser

yooser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello etaf,

I hope that I have attached the information that you required to help me , I have never used Xirrus before , my network is virginmedia at the top of the screenshot list.

winsock.jpg
All the best to you,Neale

Attached Thumbnails

• Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.jpg
  • ipv4.jpg
  • ipv6.jpg
  • ipv6.jpg
  • Ping 192.jpg
  • Ping 209.jpg
  • Ping google.jpg

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
that showing a good connection to the internet -
was that when connected to just wireless - are where you also connected to the router by cable ?

if you where connected by cable would you disconnect the cable and then redo all the tests

also a ipconfig /all - details below

for the tcp/ip reset - would you try in safemode with networking
keep tapping F8 as the PC starts a menu appears choose safemode with networking
and then repeat the tcp/ip tests

if you did not have a cable connected when you did the tests
as the adapter can see the wireless as reported in the xirrus - screen shot - next
would you log into the router and remove the wireless security and see if it connects with no security
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste

yooser

yooser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello etaf,
Attached , I hope, are the tests with the cable removed as requested with your tests,I hope I have done them correctly, I have the grandchildren running around at the moment !!
Thanks for all of your help,Cheers NealeXirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• ipconfig all.jpg
  • Ping tests.jpg
  • Reset tests.jpg

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
The Wireless is seeing the networks - and connect to the router going by the xirrus screen - but not connected
Also the TCP/IP reset said access denied - that was tried in safe mode , and you are logged in as admin and you have run the command prompt as admin

take off the wireless profile from the PC - then when you connect to the wireless it will ask for the KEY - make sure you know the correct key to enter

How to remove Wireless Profiles
http://mgmcc.forumot...ireless-profile

If still unable to connect - you will need to log into the virginmedia router and remove the wireless encryption and see if you can connect with no wireless security

yooser

yooser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello etaf,
I have disconnected the Virginmedia hub security and then tried to connect wirelessly, but regretfully ,no luck.
I haven't taken off the wireless profile from the computer as I don't know what the KEY is?
Sorry I cannot be of much use to you , I am learning daily on a very steep learning curve !!
Cheers Yooser

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

I haven't taken off the wireless profile from the computer as I don't know what the KEY is?

The key should have been in the wireless section, but as you have taken it OFF now , you just need to put a new key in and then you can take off the profiles and re-enter using your new key

As you are having problems with the TCP/IP reset - access denied -

goto device manager
Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
network adaptors, click on the + >
now right click on the AR5005 adapter and remove / uninstall

reboot the PC - and let windows redetect the device and reinstall the drivers and tcp/ip settings

see if that works now

Advertisements

yooser

yooser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello etaf,
You are a genius !!! It now connects up wirelessly,I am not sure about about having the wireless security removed,any ideas about that ?
My wife will be pleased , as the language being used would have made a Liverpool docker blush.
Thanks Yooser

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

You are a genius !!! It now connects up wirelessly,I am not sure about about having the wireless security removed,any ideas about that ?

what did you do that allowed it to connect ?

Leave the wireless security on - no you can connect - you don't want neighbours using your wireless signal and the security should stop that

yooser

yooser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello etaf,
The wireless operation worked O.K. then I left the computer while I went out for a couple of hours,when I came back I tried to connect to the Internet ,but was unable to connect.
I have now put the security back on as per your suggestion, but still no joy .Have you any suggestions ,please ?
Thanks in advance,Cheers Yooser

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
it may be the other signal on channel 11 interfering - you could logging into the router and changing the to channel 6

try with no security again and see if that will work longer - may need to try different security , WEP - but lets see if it holds ok for a while and reconnects with no security

yooser

yooser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello etaf,
I 've tried your suggestions and regretfully I 've been unable to connect up wirelessly,changed channel to 6 , restored security,downloaded latest drivers for the Atheros card AR500G,re-installed the card also tried resetting the Virginmedia hub.When it last connected up wirelessly it must have been a fluke on my part !!
Cheers for now,Yooser