Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't power on after shut down last night

• Please log in to reply

crybaby

crybaby

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I am not in the habit of posting in multiple forums but, it's been 5 days with no response. I fear that I may have posted in the incorrect area of G2G. I am hoping that someone in this forum will be able to help me. Here is a link to my original post: http://www.geekstogo..._1#entry1981037

Thanks again for your time and expertise regarding this matter.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It seems your malware topic was resolved according to it and the last post I see in it.
The issue now moves here to be diagnosed from a Tech side.
Now when you turn the system on can you look at the back where the PSU is and see if the fan inside the PSU turns at all?
If not you may be looking at a failed PSU and if so the issue may be internally in the system.
Please supply some info on the system like:
Laptop or Desktop
Name bran or custom built
If name brand what make and model
If custom what is the make and model of the motherboard along with HD capacity and total memory installed.
What OS is installed.

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Hi!
When we try and power on the unit, literally nothing happens. :D
The computer is a name brand desktop, Dell Inspiron 531S. We operate on Windows Vista Basic, and have had the computer for a little over 4 years.
What is PSU? I am unfamiliar with this term.
Thank you for responding to my post! I look forward to hearing from you soon. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
PSU is the Power Supply Unit
Looking from the back of the system you will see where the power connection is and that is the PSU. You will be able to see inside the unit to the fan. Turn the system on and see if the fan turns or not.

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
There is still nothing happening when turning the unit on. :D
Is my PC doomed?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Two possible reasons are Either a bad PSU or bad Motherboard.
Do you have another PSU you could try to see if it will power on then?

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Still nothing. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Still nothing after what? Did you try a different PSU?

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Yes. I used the cord from the unit that I use daily, plugged it into the unit that is experiencing problems, and still nothing happened. No lights, fans, or indication of any kind that it is receiving power. Is there something else I should have done? Is the cord not the PSU you were referring to? I am not skilled at the internal workings of these machines, and may have misunderstood you. For that, I apologize. My husband usually handles these type of mishaps.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No the cord is just the power cord from the wall correct.
What you need to check is the actual unit which is what the power cord connects into your system.

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I think I may need more "hands-on" help then. :D
Please, don't close out this post, as I will have my tech-savvy husband pick up where we left off when he returns home in a few days.
Thank you so much for helping me thus far. I'm sorry I'm just not confident that I would be capable of continuing safely with this process.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can go to this site HERE and see a tutorial as well as very good pictures on how to replace the PSU in your system.
Also we do not close topics in this forum so when you are ready just post and I will get a notification and will respond back.