Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System has abnormally shut down a few times recently

• Please log in to reply

Leif W.

Leif W.

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,

I have a fairly new Windows 7 PC that I purchased from Dell last August. Every now and then the PC will have restarted itself. I would receive a message that Windows was recovering from an abnormal shutdown. This never seems to happen when we're actually seated at the PC. I'm wondering if the the power savefeatures are somehow causing an issue (i.e the monitor shutting down or the PC going to sleep mode). To that end, I've disabled the power save features. Tonight it happened twice, so I downloaded WhoCrashed and have pasted the contents below. The system specs are below as well:

Thanks for any help or advice,
Leif W.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
8 Gig of RAM
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67Ghz

Here's the WhoCrashed output.

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 3/19/2011 2:30:18 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031811-13618-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x4A61CC)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA80090FB038, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 3/19/2011 12:53:25 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031811-14024-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA80091208F8, 0x0, 0x0)
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 3/2/2011 7:09:01 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030211-12916-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8007F1B8F8, 0x0, 0x0)

On Sun 1/16/2011 12:35:02 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011511-16926-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x4A587C)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA80091196A8, 0x0, 0x0)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

4 crash dumps have been found and analyzed.
Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Windows 7 - Stop 0x124 - what it means and what to try
http://www.sevenforu...s-what-try.html

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
IN view of the Who Crashed report, is this a laptop and have you by any chance been running it on a soft surface so that the air vents have an obstructed air supply.
As it is relatively new, unless it has been used in a particularly dusty atmosphere it is unlikely the vents are blocked.
It is vital NEVER to run laptops ona soft surface, I have seen one just 4 months old damaged beyond repair when the teenager ignored the advice and ran it in bed on the duvet.
However reading your post I think perhaps it is not a laptop.

Run a chkdsk and a system file checker.

1.chkdsk
Open My Computer, that is computer on start menu.
Right click the drive, click properties, click tools, click error checking, click check now, click to check both boxes, click start, agree to run on restart and so so pls.
Pls do not interrupt the check it is a five stage check.
See here for details to clarify HOW to run
http://www.w7forums....-disk-t448.html

2. System file checker
Open an elevated command prompt, in otherwords, a command prompt with admin rights and type at the prompt
"sfc /scannow" without the quotes.
See here as to HOW
http://www.sevenforu...le-checker.html

3. Have you by any chance installed any registry cleaner, booster or make it go faster type of program. Please do NOT, as they are unwanted.

4. Check please on Device manager to ensure you have no warnings on any device.
I do not think that is the issue, but please just make certain.
Start, Control Panel, Ssystem and Security, Device Manager.

5. Go Control Panel again, System and security, Find and fix problems.
Run the troubleshooter selelcting the option Windows maintenance..

Post back please with the results.
If any more BSOD occur, post a new Who Crashed log.

Also pls check that you can hear the fans running in the computer case.
Have you overlocked the computer.
If you do not know what I mean , then you may presume I think that you have not.
Thermal issues are freqently caused by overclocking.

Also when you post back please confirm the anti-virus running on this computer.
May I presume that the free edition, usually provided when it was bought has been NOW purchased or at least updated etc .

Finally what model of Dell please. - full model details

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 March 2011 - 07:57 PM.

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Here's the answers/results to your questions.

It's a desktop unit (not a laptop).

1.chkdsk
Ran without any issues.

2. System file checker
I ran it with the following setting: sfc /verifyonly ( I was being cautious)
This is the result - Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

3. Have you by any chance installed any registry cleaner, booster or make it go faster type of program. Please do NOT, as they are unwanted.
No, I do not have anything like that installed.

4. Check please on Device manager
I checked every device and there were no problems.

5. Go Control Panel again, System and security
There were no issues to speak of. (it had reported some times were IE8 had hung up and I had to close the browser down)

<<Also pls check that you can hear the fans running in the computer case.>>
The fans appear to be working. They're very quiet, so I held up a tissue near the fan vents. I could see the tissue gently fluttering from the breeze.

<<Have you overlocked the computer.>>
No. Just FYI, I checked the Catalyst control center for my ATI 5770 video card. All the temps were well into the normal range.

<<Also when you post back please confirm the anti-virus running on this computer.
May I presume that the free edition, usually provided when it was bought has been NOW purchased or at least updated etc >>

The system came with a 15 month subscription to McAfee Security Center. It is always running and updates it's definitions regularly.
In addition, I have MalwareBytes. I ran a quick scan. No problems were found. I did the same with SuperAntispyware. Only 15 tracking cookies were found. I also have SpywareBlaster installed and up to date.

I'm just throwing this out there. Could the power save features be causing an issue? The reason I ask is that these few abnormal shutdowns never occurred while some one was at the PC. It always seemed to happen when no one was using it (probably just a coincidence). I'm wondering if some issue was happening when the PC was in sleep mode or when the monitor shut down (doesn't really make sense). Anyway, as a test, I've disabled the Powersave features. I'll see if the problem happens again.

Thanks,
Leif W.

Edited by Leif W., 20 March 2011 - 06:40 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Which McAfee as there have been issues with the introduction by McAfee of a Smart feature
Also What version have you 10.0 or 10.5? a new feature called smart timer stops updates and scheduled scanning if any PC activity seen . In 10.5 this effect reduced but you should not touch the PC for 15Minutes and you will get an update at teh 4 hr mark. (It checks every 4 hrs) The time of next upadte shown om main page of the security centre. Click on update and the lkast update time and next time shown there. So go easy on activity at that time.

McAfee has had problems and is certainly not recommended by many experts. Its use of resources alone is quite large.
http://www.google.co...41a740794318490

It is actually now owned by Intel, it was bought by them in March this year.

I have a distinct feeling that the cause of some of the problem may well be McAfee.

However lets check the temperatures of the cpu, hardrive, gpu etc.
Download SIW from HERE and get the Standalone English version, which is the freeware - just scroll down the page until you see the download.
It will install itself and when finished
Then Click on SIW Icon to run program
On the left pane click SENSORS, on the hardware listing.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 March 2011 - 07:41 PM.

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I have McAfee version 10.5. The last update was earlier this evening.

I ran the SIW program. I've attached a screenshot that shows the readings. To my eye the temps seem fine. However, I'll let you be the judge.

Thanks,
Leif W.

P.S. On a side note, I gotta say I love this site. Especially, when I'm exposed to new programs like SIW.

Attached Thumbnails

• SIW_ScreenSHot.jpg

Edited by Leif W., 20 March 2011 - 09:04 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista\Win7. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please follow the advice from the Moderator.
I concur, there is on that report from SIW no question of anything wrong with the temperatures.

I do not remember asking this particular question - has this been problem on this computer since new.

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Sorry for not getting back sooner. I've attached a screen shot from the event viewer. It looks like the first instance of the problem started in November. I cut and pasted the event viewer information from the most recent event below. And to answer the other question, this hasn't been occurring since new.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 3/18/2011 10:30:18 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-19T02:30:18.835209400Z" />
<EventRecordID>90843</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Buddy-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Thanks,
Leif

Attached Thumbnails

• EventViewerScreenShot.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
After you have done what the Moderator has asked please tell us what your Network Adaptor is.
If it is by any chance Realtek I suggest you go to the Dell site and update the driver, if an update is available.

That said, with a computer purchased in August and this fault occurring, it apears firstly in November - depending of ocurse on log size - it may have been before - unless you can remember - it maybe BEFORE you continue trying anything to fix it that referral back to Dell is the way to go. I will of course leave that decision to YOU and from our point of view to the Moderator.

Re the event posted in post 9.
You may find this of interest
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-02-07T06:21:59.937500000Z" />
<EventRecordID>4786</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>MAURICIO</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>

</EventData>
</Event>

Albeit that event41 and task 63 are extremly common the similarities are I think too many to be other than related.
By that I mean the one I have pasted here and yours.
This was found to be a driver issue, where he had accepted the latest offered driver from a Driver site.
I know you say you have not done that, ie: Driver Detective or similar, but if you decide to continue, rather than referring to Dell it seems to me that this is what we should look at. Have you accepted a driver update from Microsoft.?

Also, although I can see no pattern to the errors - have you set any scheduled tasks.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 March 2011 - 08:44 PM.

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,

I've attached a screen shot of the SpeedFan results. Just FYI, the system shut down again today. Same message in the event viewer as before.

<< If it is by any chance Realtek I suggest you go to the Dell site and update the driver, if an update is available.>>

I do have a Realtek network Adapter. I believe I have the latest driver. I included a screen shot from the device manager of the driver information. I also included a screen shot of the latest driver available from the Dell site. The versions numbers look the same.

Leif

Thanks,
Leif W.

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFan.jpg
  • RealTek.jpg
  • DellDriver.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well as you can see Speedfan considers temp 2 to be on the high side.
The difficulty is that whilst normally on speedfan temp2 is the CPU,it is not always so.

The core temps are as the name would suggest the actual core of the cpu.
Temps are obtained from monitoring sensors.

As nearly all reports have indicated the possibility of a thermal issue I would NOT probe any further, othen than to open the case, having of course shut down and disconnected
power, and then taking static precautions, although you should not need to touch any components, I would carefully examine all fans to ensure grills and blades are clean and look carefully at the CPU cooling fins to ensure clean. Be careful of using air duster sprays, ensure you do not spin the fan with the air, it can cause it to spin so fast that it destroys the bush bearing.

Do NOT use a vacuum cleaner hose on any component. If at all only to suck out any displaced dust from the bottom of the case.

I seriously think you should refer back to the supplier.

HOWEVER I have just noticed that the driver you have and the one you say is on the Dell site cannot be the SAME the one from the site was not released until 26/10/2009. so it must be different you yours. - I suggest you download and install the latest
which is of course what you should do anyway - whether or not you had a problem.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 March 2011 - 05:56 PM.

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,

<<I seriously think you should refer back to the supplier.>>

Yes, I agree. I will contact Dell as the unit is under warranty.

Regarding the RealTek driver, I noticed the same thing as you (the date difference). I didn't upgrade because the name of the driver on the web site didn't match exactly the name being displayed in the device driver.

Lastly, I wanted to ask something. In the past, when I received help on GeeksToGo, the person helping had a link to make a donation as a way of saying thanks. I'm not seeing one of those links now.

Thanks,
Leif

Edited by Leif W., 27 March 2011 - 12:17 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Lastly, I wanted to ask something. In the past, when I received help on GeeksToGo, the person helping had a link to make a donation as a way of saying thanks. I'm not seeing one of those links now.

The donation links are optional for everyone and only if it is a paypal account. Also any donation is voluntary and should never be solicited.

Also I was just assisting in another topic and the member was having the same type of issue you are experiencing. Their issue was resolved by following post number 10 in the topic located HERE.
You might take a look at the link and see if it would help. :D