Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling Realtek drivers

• Please log in to reply

mightymellow01

mightymellow01

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Using Vista.
I'm in a bit of a catch 22. It appears that I need the internet to install Realtek, but I have no internet as a result of having no Realtek....
I uninstalled my realtek device in Programs and Features because my sound stopped working (after trying several things a forum told me to reinstall it). So I uninstalled it, and being the idiot I am, didn't realise that I wouldn't be able to reinstall it because it controls the internet and the internet is necessary to install the program. The network adapter 'intel®Wifi link 5100 AGN' appears to not work because 'Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) family PCI-E GBE NIC' doesn't (In the device manager, the 'network adapters' list of icons all have a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it, along with the 'Agere Systems HDA Modem#2' in the 'modems' section, and 'ENE CIR receiver' in the 'Human Interface devices' section). I usually connect to the internet via wireless and no networks are coming up as a result of this stuff. I've tried connecting an internet cable directly into the computer, but still no connection is coming up in the 'connect to a network' window, despite there being flashing lights where the cable connects.
Furthermore, obviously my sound doesn't work, and all of the USB ports don't work (all Universal Serial Bus controllers in device manager have the yellow triangle symbol too).
I've tried to download the realtek drivers on the computer I'm currently using and then transfer them using a CD, but all of their install files appear to need to access the internet to install (and the net doesn't work).

SO,
1. is it possible to get the Realtek software without the install file requiring the internet? all of the versions that I've tried haven't been direct from the realtek website, but none work. Am I just unable to find the correct file?
2. if not, is there a way that I can connect to the internet directly through the internet cable without the realtek program being installed so that I can install it?
3. If not, how the [bleep] do I install this thing?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Cheers, ChrisClarke

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
I know this thread is old but if you still need help the 1st thing I would try is a system restore.
I would try and go back to a time when your sound worked.
1) Close and save any documents and programs that you may have open.

2) Click on the Start button to open your Start Menu.

3) When the Start Menu opens click on the All Programs menu option.

4) Click once on the Accessories Start Menu group.

5) Click once on the System Tools Start Menu group.

6) Click once on the System Restore icon. After you click on the icon, if a User Account Control window opens you should click on the Continue button.

By default, Vista will already have selected the Recommended restore option. This restore point is one was made after a new program, driver, or update was installed. If you would like to use this restore point, you can click on the Next button to start the restore process. On the other hand, if there is a more recent restore point that you would like to restore you should select Choose a different restore point and press the Next button. This will bring you to a screen, that contains a listing of all the available restore points that you can restore to.

Cheers
Peterm