Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue, Black, Blinking.

• Please log in to reply

ConstantFrustration

ConstantFrustration

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I received the blue screen error that everyone else has, and the same blinking white cursor. Everything about my problem APPEARS to be the same, only I can't boot from the CD to even attempt a repair install. Also, I'm not sure of my system makeup, other than that it's a Dell, and a desktop. Assistance would be great. :D

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Have you tried F8 and Last Known good.
If no success there try Safe Mode.
If no success there or on any other advanced boot options such as VGA mode.
The on the screen with te cursor, press Ctrl Alt Delete, does task manager activate.

ConstantFrustration

ConstantFrustration

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
While pressing f8 would normally give me these options, it now does nothing.
Ctr-Alt-Del will restart the computer, but nothing else.
Thanks for the speedy response!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Do you have the XP CD.
If so Boot from that you may need to enter setup on F2 and change boot priority to CD drive.
Enter recovery console
The run a "chkdsk C: /r" command, without quotes and presuming that C is the HDD drive letter carrying the Windows.
That will be confirmed for you as you enter the recovery console

If you do not have the Xp CD
make the recovery console disc here.

http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso

using this to burn the ISO file

http://sites.google....-console-for-xp

on that link above see the first Microsoft link at the bottom left of the page for the recovery console instructions pls.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 March 2011 - 02:13 PM.

ConstantFrustration

ConstantFrustration

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I do have a Windows XP CD, but for some reason, I change the boot priority to "1. Onboard or USB CD-ROM," restart the system, and then wait for it to load, it returns to the blinking cursor. I attempted to restart it and using the f12 boot menu, selected "Onboard or USB CD-ROM", and it tells me that it is unavailable. It just occurred to me that the CD I have is a burnt copy from who knows when, so I will attempt to use the link you mentioned...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:

"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.

ConstantFrustration

ConstantFrustration

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
When I enter the Dell loading screen, I get two options... F2: Setup, and F12: Boot Menu. Am I not supposed to go to Setup to change the boot priority? If not, repeatedly tapping 'Del' did not do anything for me. Is there another key I should try hitting?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Am I not supposed to go to Setup to change the boot priority?

Yes and make sure to save the changes before exiting or it will not stay set.

ConstantFrustration

ConstantFrustration

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
To update! I am currently running CHKDSK /r... the family computer I am using is a little finicky, and I couldn't read your instructions explicitly... needless to say, the CHKDSK is scanning the whole of my computer. Granted, that's not much more than the C: drive, anyway. What steps should I take once this is completed?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
After it completes type exit.
MAKE SURE PLS it has completed and you are back at the cmd prompt.
Then try and boot, not now pressing - any key to boot from CD and report what happens pls.

Advertisements

ConstantFrustration

ConstantFrustration

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Alright, this is done. I tried all the ways I know how to command the computer to boot from the hard drive (and not from the CD). This did not work. What next? :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Once it was finished and you typed exit did the system reboot without any input from you at all or did you have to do something to make it continue?

ConstantFrustration

ConstantFrustration

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It required no input at all. Other than "exit" from the recovery module.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then the system should have rebooted and did you have to click anything at all anytime during the reboot? In other words did it ask you again to click any key?

ConstantFrustration

ConstantFrustration

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Nothing at all.