Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Locked Out Of PC

• Please log in to reply

kneedeepinsnow

kneedeepinsnow

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
To start with I should admit what I know about pc's wouldn't fill a thimbal. I need some real help though from somebody who does know computers though. The pc in question is a desktop compaq presario with windows xp for a OS.
This is the problem. While on the internet properties page trying to change the internet connection from broadband to dial up I erased the username and password of the pc and did not replace it with anything. Just left the spaces blank. I also changed the connection default from broadband to dial-up and checked the automaticly detect conection box. Then restarted pc to see if the changes I made took effect.
(This was my old pc I gave to a friend)The pc first booted to the black screen showing installed video card like always, then to the screen that just says compaq which also shows the F1 setup and F10 recovery options at the bottom but that is all the farther the pc will boot up. It does not continue to the welcome screen or go to the desktop screen. I tried using the F10 option but the keyboard is unresponsive. It appears no power is going to it. For instance, if you press the cap lock button the cap lock light on keyboard does not light. Also, if you plug a flash drive into one of the usb ports the light on the flashdrive does not light up. The tower can be turned on/off by the power switch. Disk drive bays open and close but don't run anything.
Even though I gave the pc to my friend I feel so bad because he spent some money upgrading the ram. PC was running normal until I messed with it. Please, I need help on what to do.

My Question:

Is there anything that can be done to get back into the system so it can be used again. I would be so very grateful if somebody can help.

I also promise not to mess with it again once it is fixed if it can be. Tried calling HP tech support but they refused to help because pc is older than 5 yrs. They just said to go buy a new pc. This was very discouraging. They don't want to help, they just want more money.
Please bare in mind any answer would have to explained to me in very layman and basic langauge or it will be over my head.
Thank you again for listening to my problem.

Edited by kneedeepinsnow, 19 March 2011 - 08:01 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Try F8 as soon as the computer posts and if you manage to enter the advanced boot menue, try Last Known Good and then Safe Mode.
If you manage to enter Safe Mode.
at the logon screen, choose the admin account and try leaving the password blank.

kneedeepinsnow

kneedeepinsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you for the reply. I just tried F8 but the pc is not responding to the keyboard at any point during or after boot up. I also tried using a different keyboard.

Edited by kneedeepinsnow, 19 March 2011 - 08:23 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
USB keyboard or PS2

kneedeepinsnow

kneedeepinsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
USB

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try a PS2, you will probably find you then have a keyboard, also eliminate the fact that there is a key stuck

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 March 2011 - 08:49 PM.

sujit-agarwal

sujit-agarwal

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Thank you for the reply. I just tried F8 but the pc is not responding to the keyboard at any point during or after boot up. I also tried using a different keyboard.

If you can open up the CPU cabinet then I guess I have a solution for you:

• Find a Big Buttoned Size battery inside
  • remove the battery from there and wait for 2 minutes
  • after waiting for 2 minutes, put the battery back to position.
  • this will reset all your boot time settings
  • hopefully now the keyboard will be detected.
  • try this and reply soon

kneedeepinsnow

kneedeepinsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Not sure what a Ps2 is? Connecter is round. Not flat like a usb.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes, that correct, normally the two PS2 sockets are at the top of the I/O plate one green one purple.
I presume as it is a rather old compaq presario it does have PS2

kneedeepinsnow

kneedeepinsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Okay, my friend is going into the cpu cabinet now. he says he knows about the battery and will do as you said. Waiting to heare back and will post. Should be a few minutes.
I would like to say thank you right now. All of you are very gracious.
Macboatmaster it is a single connector but I am sure you know that. I just don't want to leave anything out. The color is purple.

Edited by kneedeepinsnow, 19 March 2011 - 08:49 PM.

Advertisements

sujit-agarwal

sujit-agarwal

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Okay, my friend is going into the cpu cabinet now. he says he knows about the battery and will do as you said. Waiting to heare back and will post. Should be a few minutes.
I would like to say thank you right now. All of you are very gracious.
Macboatmaster it is a single connector but I am sure you know that. I just don't want to leave anything out. The color is purple.

Okay buddy, I will wait for your reply. May your problem be solved.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If on your first post, when you mentioned the user name and password, you mean the user name and password for Windows, resetting CMOS is unlikely to help in this matter.
As that is the reset for the BIOS password.
However by all means try it.

The purple one is the keyboard - try a PS2 keyboard if the CMOS reset does not work

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 March 2011 - 08:57 PM.

sujit-agarwal

sujit-agarwal

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

If on your first post, when you mentioned the user name and password, you mean the user name and password for Windows, resetting CMOS is unlikely to help in this matter.
As that is the reset for the BIOS password.
However by all means try it.

I do know that it is for resetting CMOS.

But many times i do face the same problem with my computer that the keyboard is not detected. This solution works for me everytime on my and many of my friends computers. So, I suggested this solution. I may be wrong, but there is nothing wrong to try it out.

kneedeepinsnow

kneedeepinsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I don't think it was windows but not sure. It was on the internet properties page going through the control panel to get there. It was at the bottom of the properties page. I think it was the name for the computer. Originally it just said owner ( I never messed with it do to lack of knowledge) and there was no password. My friend gave it his name in place of "owner" and gave it a password. But as mentioned I left both of them blank before the restart was done. Still waiting for him to finish battery removal process.

kneedeepinsnow

kneedeepinsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
He just replied he left the battery out for 3 minutes but did not resolve the issue.