Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Locked Out Of PC

• Please log in to reply

sujit-agarwal

sujit-agarwal

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

He just replied he left the battery out for 3 minutes but did not resolve the issue.

OK.

BY THE WAY, DID YOU TRY TO CONNECT A PS/2 KEYBOARD TO YOUR PC?

Advertisements

kneedeepinsnow

kneedeepinsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
From what macboatmaster said I believe the keyboard is a PS2. It has a single purple connector.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I thought you said it was USB, do you mean USB plugged into a usb port or do you mean a round PS2 connection coloured purple., or a usb plugged into a PS2 adaptor.

kneedeepinsnow

kneedeepinsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I was mistaken earlier when I said usb connector. The keyboard connector is round and purple and connects directly into the back of the pc right where you said it would and without any added adapter.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OK. Have you been inside the computer at all, apart from just now to reset the CMOS.
If so, check the connections to the Hard drive, most likely NOT a sata drive and therefore more than likely a flat ribbon cable. Also check that connection to the motherboard.
AND whilst there ansure that the ram is properly seated, so that both plastic clips at each end of the ram are in their notches.on the stick of ram.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 March 2011 - 09:22 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am signing off now.

On the back of the tower there is an ethernet connection, as you know wehere the cable connects to the router etc.
Lower down the tower most likely is the modem connection for dialup internet.

I am not certain from your desscription which setting exactly you have changed.
You cannot connect dialup connection to the ethernet connection, as the telephone line carries a voltage and if you try you will, very likely have blown the ethernet connection on the motherboard.
presuming that the LAN is onboard and is on the main I/O plate below the mouse etc and near to the monitor connection usually.

If you have done that, then there is no waying of knowing what if any damage you have done.

Disconnect the ethernet cable, disconnect anything else except the monitor and keyboard and mouse
See how it isthen.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 March 2011 - 09:37 PM.

kneedeepinsnow

kneedeepinsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Okay. He rechecked all the connections and said they are tight. He also added this reply and I quote;
When the pc is first turned on and goes to the black systems check screen listing installed video card both disk drive green lights momentarily light up and so does the keyboard lights. Then the screen goes to the compaq name screen and stops there. It does not go into the windows screen or further into the desktop screen. It just stays at the compaq name screen and the keyboard remains unresponsive.

kneedeepinsnow

kneedeepinsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you again everybody for the help. You have most definitely gone out of your way to help and it is so much appreciated. I have to go sign off myself now too and attend personal matters I have been neglecting. I will revisit the board tomorrow in case there are more ideas posted. I can not thank you enough. Goodnight and god bless.

kneedeepinsnow

kneedeepinsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Macboatmaster IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank You - Thank You - Thank You!!
I read my friend your last post. He disconnected his printer, ethernet cable, and phone line, (phone line was connected at very bottom of pc) and rebooted. Got to a new black screen giving several options but could not move cursor to choose any of them. So at that point he pressed ctrl+alt+delete and then the mouse became responsive. He then chose restore setup to defaults. Computer went to windows screen and then to desktop screen with all icons showing. Everything works now. Thank you so much. He wants me to thank you for him too.
Good night everyone and thanks again for being so kind.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am so pleased for you.
Your frequently expressed appreciation made it a pleasure to work with you.
Thank you for posting the result and please come back whenever you need.

Advertisements

kneedeepinsnow

kneedeepinsnow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
You took a big weight off me. I was feeling so guilty for messing things up. I am happy to say he is enjoying his pc now. He called me today to tell me he is recording movies from his online movie account and he is just tickled. I do have one thing I have to ask about about adobe photoshop but I will have to post it in windows 7 forum as it is for my new pc this time. It is a minor thing I think (lol). I will come back in a few hours to post it. Something about scratch disks being full whatever that means. But for now my hat is off to you and everybody else who was so kind to participate.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If necessary post of course there in Vista and 7 but this may save you a lot of trouble
http://kb2.adobe.com...16/316693.html.

You will have to make slight adaptations for 7, as the article dealt with earlier editions.

This link will give you more assistance
http://kb2.adobe.com...g_scratch_disks

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 March 2011 - 03:31 PM.