Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crash while playing various games

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would like to try two different programs to see if they shed some light on the issue.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

Advertisements

ktniinrak

ktniinrak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
WhoCrashed

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: JARVIS-PC
windows version: Windows Vista Service Pack 2, 6.0, build: 6002
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-75 AMD586, level: 17
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 4022575104 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2008907776

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 3/25/2011 8:43:39 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini032511-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x5A490)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFD0, 0x0, 0xFFFFFA600076F1A4, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 3/25/2011 8:43:39 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: wdf01000.sys (Wdf01000+0x371A4)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFD0, 0x0, 0xFFFFFA600076F1A4, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\wdf01000.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed.
Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

BlueScreenView

==================================================
Dump File : Mini032511-01.dmp
Crash Time : 3/25/2011 5:09:53 PM
Bug Check String : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug Check Code : 0x00000050
Parameter 1 : ffffffff`ffffffd0
Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 3 : fffffa60`0076f1a4
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : acpi.sys
Caused By Address : acpi.sys+36b40
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini032511-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 6002
Dump File Size : 270,600
==================================================

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok now it looks like a OS issue.
Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

ktniinrak

ktniinrak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of th
em.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

C:\Windows\system32>

The CBS log was too big to upload, so I made a new txt document of just the log info from the SFC scan.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Rerun it again :D

ktniinrak

ktniinrak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I ran it three more times, it was still unable to fix the corrupted files. I don't have any system restore points from before the crash issues started (deleted them trying to free up disk space). Should we look into manually replacing the corrupted files? Also, is it possible the corrupted files are due to installing the Windows Vista service pack 2 update (which I remember doing about 3 months ago)?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At this point anything is possible but I would like to see about a repair installation to fix all the issues.
You will have to Perform a Repair Installation For Vista...guide is here...
This will allow you to repair your Vista installation and keep all of your personal user account files, settings, and programs

ktniinrak

ktniinrak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I do not have a windows vista installation DVD. I only have an application and driver recovery DVD, and two system recovery DVDs. These DVDs are for service pack one, and I currently have service pack two. A paper in my HP packet says I computer includes a system recover feature that doesn't require CDs/DVDs and includes options for further information. The link you sent me to says it doesn't work on SP1 and SP2 unless I have an vista installation DVD that includes SP2. I'm not quite sure about instructions given for that case.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so the option now is to backup all data you have to save and do a fresh install.
You could try contacting HP and see if the recovery disk can do a Repair Recovery or does it only do a Destructive Recovery. The latter would be a full format and fresh install bringing everything back to factory like new setup.

ktniinrak

ktniinrak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I currently do not have anything I can backup my files to, and probably won't have access to one for a few weeks. Is there anything else I can try in the meantime or any alternatives to a complete system reboot? Would it be possible to narrow it down to a single file or a few files that can be replaced? Thanks for all the help you've given me so far.

Edited by ktniinrak, 29 March 2011 - 09:41 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Without the installation cd we can't do a repair installation or even do a parallel installation where you would install a second OS and then be able to move everything over to it.

ktniinrak

ktniinrak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I performed a complete windows system recovery after backing up all my files to an external hard drive. During the reinstall there were two times where I got a nonresponsive black screen similar to the one I got during crashes and manually shut down my computer, and one time where my computer shut down all on its own (not when it was supposed to), like some of the rarer crashes I got. When I turned it back on the reinstall continued wherever it left off. Upon making a new account, I ran the sfc scan in the command prompt and it still says there are corrupt files it cannot fix. When I checked the event viewer there are still the two errors from before:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
SRTSP
SRTSPX

The Norton Internet Security service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.

The norton internet security is the default antivirus for my OS, but I have completely uninstalled it due to previous bad experiences with norton (was completely uninstalled before too). I installed one of my games and still crashed (this time much quicker than I used to). So it seems not even restoring the operating system has worked.

Edited by ktniinrak, 02 April 2011 - 12:11 AM.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
seriously, check your computer fans.
that is probably your computer being too hot.

ktniinrak

ktniinrak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I was considering this more after reading http://www.resplende...crashed_thermal troubleshooting. But it still doesn't explain why I only crash during games/screensavers. My computer can get hot doing normal functions.
Anywho, how exactly should I go about checking my fan? Should I unscrew the backing of my laptop and see what the inside looks like?

Edited by ktniinrak, 02 April 2011 - 01:16 AM.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

only crash during games/screensavers

That pretty much concluded the problem. Games and screensavers use your GPU a lot. The overheat of the video card causes the problem you are having.
About unscrewing the laptop, if your laptop is still under warranty, ask the dealer to clean up the fan. If not, bring it to a service center. You shouldn't open it unless you are confident.
After cleaning the fans, you can try using a cooling pad, as rshaffer61 suggested above.