Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crash while playing various games

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks devper94 :)
The service is not needed but we can try to set it to auto start on bootup.

Advertisements

ktniinrak

ktniinrak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

ow that is quite hot...
no wonder you are crashing.
the service is a lexmark printer service, so it is harmless.
i do not think this is a malware problem.

Yes that would be the printer I use. I've been having some issues connecting my printer to my computer (possibly installed the software wrong), but it's something I'm not concerned with for the time being.

OK by malware I mean a virus.
Do you download anything from internet like music, movies, videos, games or programs?
Do you use torrent sites like bit torrent or U-torrent?

I do download alot of stuff (mostly music/movies) using direct downloads and torrents, but from sites I know are safe and don't cause me issues. I've had a few viruses in the past from downloading stuff to know when my computer is infected, which I don't believe it is right now. Everything else is running perfectly fine. Do you have any other ideas to help with overheating? Or if the crashes are a result of my computer taking automatic action itself to prevent severe overheating, is there a way I can turn off that automatic action?

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Yes that would be the printer I use. I've been having some issues connecting my printer to my computer (possibly installed the software wrong), but it's something I'm not concerned with for the time being.

Yes, we will deal with that later.

Do you have any other ideas to help with overheating? Or if the crashes are a result of my computer taking automatic action itself to prevent severe overheating, is there a way I can turn off that automatic action?

I don't know how to prevent restarts from overheating, but why would you want to do that? It will likely turn your computer into useless trash.
First, check and clean your computer, including the inside of the case, the fans... Remove fans if you have to; just notice how you removed it so you can install it back later. If the fans are old or if they make noises while working, oil them. I don't know how to do that, so I will wait for rshaffer61's opinion.
Also, be careful, please. Your computer is very delicate, and a violent action may break it.

ktniinrak

ktniinrak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

First, check and clean your computer, including the inside of the case, the fans... Remove fans if you have to; just notice how you removed it so you can install it back later. If the fans are old or if they make noises while working, oil them. I don't know how to do that, so I will wait for rshaffer61's opinion.
Also, be careful, please. Your computer is very delicate, and a violent action may break it.

The only noise coming from the fan is the noise it makes when it runs (that it's always made). Awhile ago I had attempted to open up my computer to see if I could clean it myself, but only got as far as unscrewing the backing and removing a few of the pieces, but did not want to use too much force for fear of breaking something. Like I said I can try using compressed air to clean the fan area, or take it in to a shop to get it cleaned. But I won't be able to for at least a week or so. We'll see what rshaffer61 thinks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am sorry but I just got up. Please remind me is this a laptop or desktop.
If desktop the cleaning process is simple by removing either the left side looking from the front or removing the screws on the back of the case holding the cover on.
In some cases the front face plate comes off allowing the cover to be taken off that way.

ktniinrak

ktniinrak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I am sorry but I just got up. Please remind me is this a laptop or desktop.

This is a laptop. I can get everything unscrewed, and remove some of the pieces on the back, but have difficulty separating the top area from the bottom. Like I said I did not want to use too much force and break something, so I put everything back in its place.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Being a laptop then just make sure the vents are cleaned out and never lay it on a surface like a pillow, blanket or towel while running as this will impede the flow of air.
The other option is to purchase a cooling mat for the laptop to sit on while being used.

ktniinrak

ktniinrak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Being a laptop then just make sure the vents are cleaned out and never lay it on a surface like a pillow, blanket or towel while running as this will impede the flow of air.
The other option is to purchase a cooling mat for the laptop to sit on while being used.

Having not known much about laptops, it has previously spent alot of time sitting on a blanket/my lap. Now it does have a cooling mat that props it up to allow air flow, as well as two small fans to blow air on it (that don't seem to make too much of a difference).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then just use a can of compressed air and blow the vents out and through the compartments.
If the heating continues you may need to get a shop to open it up and physically check the fan and make sure it is not clogged and slowing down.

ktniinrak

ktniinrak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Then just use a can of compressed air and blow the vents out and through the compartments.
If the heating continues you may need to get a shop to open it up and physically check the fan and make sure it is not clogged and slowing down.

I will look into getting this done, and get back to you when I do. Thanks for all your help and patience!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and I hope it works. I will continue to monitor this topic for your results. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 29 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

borko_kb

borko_kb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
There is a well known problem with the HP TouchSmart tx2 laptops that shows up at about one to one and a half years of use. Basically, the GPU overheats the motherboard around itself, resulting in shotty soldering. Initially the symptoms are the random crashes that ktniinrak describes, but ultimately the laptop dies like this:

A fix to this problem (likely only a temporary one) can be found here http://www.touchsmar...2-black-screen/. I tried it and it worked for me.

I hope this helps; good luck!

ktniinrak

ktniinrak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

There is a well known problem with the HP TouchSmart tx2 laptops that shows up at about one to one and a half years of use. Basically, the GPU overheats the motherboard around itself, resulting in shotty soldering. Initially the symptoms are the random crashes that ktniinrak describes, but ultimately the laptop dies like this:

A fix to this problem (likely only a temporary one) can be found here http://www.touchsmar...2-black-screen/. I tried it and it worked for me.

I hope this helps; good luck!

My computer is just about two years old (~22 months). It runs at about 70C-80C when doing normal tasks (web browsing, email, etc), but gets into the 90s with more complex stuff (games). I tried using a can of air to clean it out awhile back, and while there was quite a bit of dust expelled, it didn't seem to make too much of a difference. The other day my mom and I disassembled my computer to take a look at the fan, which didn't appear clogged at all. It is still crashing though.

After taking a look at that site and the youtube video and reading through the comments, it seems a good trick is to place a penny in between the motherboard and GPU to increase heat transfer. I don't think I would attempt to cook it in the oven since my computer isn't completely unresponsive. It only crashes when it gets really hot/overworked.

Does anyone know if the penny/copper plate trick works and is something worth trying?

Also, I noticed my computer has a lot of processes running all the time (~90 processes), most of which I have no idea what they do. Is there someone who can help me weed out the unused processes to free up RAM space?

Thanks borko_kb for the suggestion, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue and that there seems to be a good (if only temporary) fix for it.

Laztopcat

Laztopcat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Is there any update to this? I have the same issue with my HP DV7T Laptop... I get in a MMORPG and my screen goes blank (white, or black) I have to remove the battery and power cord to boot it. I've seen the penny thing in my searches for a fix... but I can't seem to find anybody thats is saying if this works, or how to do a perment fix... I NEED HELP!!!