Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build Problems

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I would suggest borrowing one just to make sure before I say that your motherboard is the problem.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,774 posts
From your MB specs;

Internal I/O Connectors 3 x USB connectors support additional 6 USB ports
1 x IDE connector
6 x SATA connectors
1 x CPU Fan connector (1x4-pin)
1 x Chassis Fan connector (1x3-pin)
1 x LPT connector
1 x S/PDIF Out Header
Front panel audio connector
1 x COM connector
1 x Clear CMOS jumper
1 x 24-pin ATX Power connector
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector System Panel

To achieve this with your present PSU you can connect 2 of the 4 pin molex connections (left) from the PSU to one of the 12V 8 pin adapters (right) as pictured below;
Some further info;
Depending on the power supply, the connector may contain one 12 volt rail in all 8 pins or two 12 volt rails taking up 4 pins apiece. It is often referred to as an "EPS12V" cable.
As your MB did not have the blank covering 4 of the 8 pins it suggests 8 pins are required, is there no information in the MBs user manual regarding this!

JStonehocker

JStonehocker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ok so i tried getting the monitor, took the mobo out of the case, on a cardboard box, hooked everything up, and started it up, and I got video!! I hooked up the HDD and the dvd drive and it worked and asked for the disk to install the OS. So I put everything back into the case and...nothing. So I assumed it was a short so I slowly unplugged one thing at a time until it was just PS, and video card and cpu fan and RAM, and it would either come on with no video or come on for a sec then off, then back on, then back off. The power button also wouldn't do the hold for 8 seconds and turn off function. So I took everything back out of the box, set it up exactly like I had it before, and nothing. Either the cpu fan runs with no video, or the fan turns on and off every few seconds... I am so frustrated, I don't know what is going on. Any suggestions?

P.S. I didn't have to use the 4 pin plug

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a short in the case. Make sure to check that you don't have any standoffs under the board other then where there is a screw connecting to it.
It is not uncommon for someone to have a stand off in the wrong place or to many of them.

JStonehocker

JStonehocker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I checked and rechecked all the standoffs and they're good. And as I said, it won't work OUTSIDE of the case, so it's not a case short. Could the RAM, which isn't a recommended brand (Patriot) cause the problem. Working on and off? Or the Video card?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I'm confused now cause you said :D

ok so i tried getting the monitor, took the mobo out of the case, on a cardboard box, hooked everything up, and started it up, and I got video!! I hooked up the HDD and the dvd drive and it worked and asked for the disk to install the OS.

Then you said

So I put everything back into the case and...nothing.

Now you say

And as I said, it won't work OUTSIDE of the case, so it's not a case short.

From the first comment it sounds like it did work outside the case even to the point of asking for the installation disk.
You put it back in the case and it does not work so that tells me there is a problem with the board being mounted correctly. :D

JStonehocker

JStonehocker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah Im sorry for being confusing, it worked outside of the case, then I put everything in and it didnt work. Now ive taken it all back out and it still doesn't work.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that does indicate there is either a standoff in the wrong place or if they are all in the right places that maybe one is not securing correctly.
You ran the test outside again and now it is not working at all?

JStonehocker

JStonehocker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Correct, now everything is out of the case, and nothing works. I have just the mobo, CPU, and cpu fan and it still cycles, it won't stay on, it goes on, then off, then on, then off.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I have just the mobo, CPU, and cpu fan and it still cycles

Memory, kB, mouse, monitor, video card?

Advertisements

JStonehocker

JStonehocker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
tried with and without those in, and I called the company who sent me the mobo. The tech guy had me do some different things, then decided that it must've been damaged in shipping and wants me to send it back. So in about a month I'll try again lol. Thanks for you help guys.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well that was my next suggestion with the motherboard maybe being the cause depending on your response. I'm glad to see they are going to replace it for you.
FYI do the bench test before installing the new motherboard. That way if there is a issue you will catch it before installation. :D
Something I learned in the years I have been repairing and building systems. It will also give you the benefit of being able to tell the manufacturer that the board was tested with the minimal amount of connections made.
This topic will remain open so when you do get the new mobo and it does show to be good please do post with your results good or bad. We like to know and it could help someone later with the same problem. GOOD LUCK :D ;)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,774 posts
Ditto to the above :D

JStonehocker

JStonehocker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
OK so after sending the mobo in twice, I found out it was just a faulty mobo. I now have a working Asus P8P67 board and everything works well enough. I am having trouble getting more than one stick of RAM to work at the same time. I think I might have to manually adjust the timing/voltage settings. Any I idea of how to do this or the settings I'll need? Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You should not have to adjust anything if the memory is compatible with the mobo.