Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Drivers Help!

• Please log in to reply

ekuzl

ekuzl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
okay so my computer is about 4 1/2 years old, it has a decent processor, upgraded ram so it can function in this day and age. BUT a month ago i got the BSOD for some coding error and eventually reinstalled XP (yes. XP. THAT old. but it works) and got around to fixing things up last weekend. i reinstalled my ethernet driver so i could get internet and now i'm looking for more driver help.

the main part of my issue is my sound driver/sound card. i know it's common to have driver errors with a complete wipe, so i expected it. but now my sound drivers are (apparently) installed but still dont pick up on a sound card. i think it may be because i need additional drivers (chipset specifically). I looked up driver downloads from the manufacturer (Dell Dimension E310) and got the driver downloads but then as soon as i saved them, it went into Autorun and popped up with a blue screen and an error saying my drive doesnt have enough memory for plug and play. now i know there's something wrong with that since drivers are small in file size, and i still have 69.8 GB left over. My drive is partitioned into two parts, one drive E with essentials (which i cant move because it has WINDOWS) and drive C which is my actual drive. idk why it partitioned into two drives, but it's working.

so my main question is HOW DO I GET THE DOWNLOADED CHIPSET DRIVER TO WORK or HOW DO I GET THE SOUND TO OVERALL WORK?

please help, i'm just a kid trying to survive in this virtual world.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi ekuzl :D
Did you install the drivers in the correct order? If not I suggest you uninstall them and start again;
http://support.dell....4&isLegacy=true
Your drivers from here http://support.dell....DIM_PNT_P4_3100
Also are you aware that Dell drivers are not self extracting and so will need to be manually installed.
Hope this is what you were after, good luck and let us know how it goes.