Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Library Computers Secure?

• Please log in to reply

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I'm sorry, but I don't know what forum this question belongs in. But I would like to know if anyone can tell me if the Public Library computers in general are secure to pay bills on? Also, how secure is a wireless network to pay bills on? I am afraid to use a laptop in a Wi-Fi place to pay bills, because I don't know anything about the security. I have to cancel my Internet temporarily, but I pay my bills online, so I am going to have to go to the Library to pay them. Is this as safe as my home computer, or is it unsafe? There may be times I can borrow a laptop to pay them. Is it less safe to do it that way at the library than using their wired computers? I would appreciate any info.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Generally speaking, neither wireless or public computers are secure.

For bill paying, you want a well-protected computer that only you have ever had full access to and you want it wired to the internet.

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Well I guess that leaves me paying bills the old fashioned way. :D But thanks for the advice. I guess those programs they have on library computers that wipe out everything when you reboot don't do much to protect the user do they? Oh well. Have to start buying stamps.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

I guess those programs they have on library computers that wipe out everything when you reboot don't do much to protect the user do they?

Not if a recorder was running on the computer and relaying your keystrokes, (etc.), to someone out there on the 'net.

A hidden camera can also see and record what you're doing, (screen, mouse, keyboard).

Edited by SpywareDr, 20 March 2011 - 01:57 PM.

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Yeah sometimes I wonder what anyone would want with a laptop (unless they're using it at home), because if it's so unsafe using it at a Wi-Fi station, then what's the use?? So I guess even checking your e-mail on the library computers is not recommended either, huh? I suppose the only use for them is research or maybe to use the word processing program, but then again, if it had a keylogger on it, you wouldn't want that out either. Geez! I'm really getting paranoid! Maybe I should just steer away from computers altogether...lol