Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem deleting file, Task Mgr 100 %

• Please log in to reply

CleaPet

CleaPet

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a similar problem to aero80 below: I have been trying to delete an .avi file for days; everytime I get a message saying it cannot be deleted because the file is in use. Then the Task Mgr jumps to 100% and I have to reboot. I just checked my Task Mgr when I opened another, normal, .avi (the one I'm trying to delete does not work) and the first time I opened it with a viewing program (WinDVD 5) the Task Mgr jumped to 100% and hung up; I closed the viewing program via Task Mgr and opened it again, started the normal .avi, and the Task Mgr stayed at 4% and everything was fine.

I have downloaded and run a whole slew of the malware and virus detection programs you recommend on this site and my computer is super clean, so I know it's not that.

I think the problem may have started when I hung up my viewing program using the bad .avi and the good .avi, trying to move too fast and using a new trial version of the viewing program (WinDVD 6) along with my old complete version (WindDVD 5). I have since deleted the trial version of WinDVD 6 and I am still having the same problem. I'm posting this in the WinXP forum because I think explorer.exe in Task Mgr *thinks* I'm running the .avi in a viewing program although I none open and none are shown running anywhere. (Even per WinPatrol.)

I have also restored WinXP to a date previous to when all this started, with no luck. I then undid the system restore.

I have tried to use a command prompt, after closing Explorer in Task Mgr, to delete the file but it says the file cannot be found. I have checked and doublechecked the path but I still think I may be using the command prompt wrong because nothing happened when I did the disk check for drives D and E per the instructions given to aero80, which I thought I would try just in case. If someone could tell me exactly what to type in the command prompt, that would be great. I typed something like this:

...>del C:\Documents and Settings\Pentium 4\My Documents\My Videos\file name.avi

I think I'm going to try to defrag; I have no idea if it even touches the problem but it can't hurt, right? :tazz:

Edited by CleaPet, 28 May 2005 - 01:56 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could reboot to safe mode then try deleting

Do you include hidden files, moveonboot could help

http://www.snapfiles...et/emcomob.html

Edited by Keith, 28 May 2005 - 02:04 PM.

CleaPet

CleaPet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well, gosh, that was rather simple - moveonboot worked!

Thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank you for letting me know