Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need Help with New PC Build

• Please log in to reply

BC87

BC87

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, everyone my name is ben and I have been looking around for a forum to join that would be able to help me build my first PC I hope u guys could assist me in my little journey. Now I have spent some time on Newegg and TigerDirect trying to configure my PC, but I am afraid I am over building my PC for what I need it for. I am a Graphic Designer and use Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign mostly, however I would still like to be able to play some new games that come out with out any problems. I would also like to make the build last at least 4-5 years if possible.

My budget would be in the region of $1300.

Some request i would like at least 8GB of RAM and i need good cooling/ventilation for my system i had 2 power units, 1 motherboard, and 6 GB of RAM burn out on me in the past. So if anyone could build a solid and lasting PC for me i would much appreciate it.

Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
TomsHardware.com > Build Your Own: Articles & Reviews
http://www.tomshardw...r-Own,16/2.html

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Hi BC89, :D

Your budget is good.

At the moment you can have the best of both worlds. Five of Six months ago for graphics, photo and video, (in a reasonable price range) the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (Thuban 6core) was the best. This has now changed with the introduction of the Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs.

I advise you do some research, there are heaps of reviews and benchmarks available, This will start you going. > http://www.tomshardw...-CS-5,2426.html

The top 2 on the chart are about $600 To $1,000. The Intel 2600K is about $330,(the one I would go for) together with the Asus Mobo.ASUS P8P67 pro (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA

Do you have existing hardware you can transfer to the new build.

What OS do you have? Is it retail or OEM?

Edited by iammykyl, 20 March 2011 - 07:51 AM.

BC87

BC87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply kyl and spy.

Well I kind of had a build set up but that build was around $1500.

I guess I can post it and see if u guys could recommend some parts to replace in my build that could save me some money and wont effect the system performance that much or maybe even u[ the system performance possibly

Ultra X4 850 PSU (170.00)
Colit System Eco-R (70.00)
Asus P6X58D Premium Motherboard (225.00)
Intel i7 950 (280.00)
Windows 7 Pro (140.00)
Geforce GTX 570 (329.00)
Patriot PV736G 6GB (120.00)
NZxt Full Tower (140.00)

Total 1474.00 + Tax

Parts that i hope to reuse.

Seagate Barracuda 400GB HD
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI
Toshiba DVD Writer with LightScribe

Btw I also don't know anything about overclocking and i am kind of afraid to do it since i already burn out some parts in my old system that i had to fix with out overclocking.

EDIT

I also thought about getting the I7-870 since it on sale at Amazon. But i am not sure since both of those CPU's are Quad Core should i be going for Six cores i heard 4 is more then enough for now.

Edited by BC87, 20 March 2011 - 07:05 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
PSU. To big, not good reviews, 750w would be more than enough.

Coit. Water cooling is a lot of trouble to maintain, most people would stay away from ti. Sandy Bridge will overclock at the press of a button to 4+mhz on the stock cooler.

Intel i7 950 does outperform the 2600k by a small margin but.

Motherboard is high end gamer board, not quite what you were after in your first postyou would not use 3way SLI.

GPU is good.

RAM can only be decided after the Mobo is selected.

BC87

BC87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for all the helpful input kyl.

The PSU and Water cooling is something I took for precaution, because as mentioned earlier my hardware has burnt out in the past and I don't want it to happen again. I was told that those are the main reason for ur hardware to fry.

Is there maybe something else u would recommend for cooling that is rather silent?

I also decided to go with ur advice on the Intel Core i7 2600K I read a lot of nice reviews about it and I will go with that processor. Now I am looking at some motherboards are the ones u mention very solid boards or more for budget builds?

Regarding the GPU is it maybe overkill too should i possibly go with something else?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

The PSU and Water cooling is something I took for precaution, because as mentioned earlier my hardware has burnt out in the past and I don't want it to happen again. I was told that those are the main reason for ur hardware to fry.

When modern CPUs< GPUs reach a specified thermal threshold they will throttle back or shut down. The meltdown you suffered, especially with the RAM going as well, I would put down to a major PSU going bad. When they start to fail you get things like, BSOD, random shutdowns, failure to boot because a componant is not geting enough power, bad video output or blank screen. That's just a few. When a poor quality PSU goes bad, bad, bang, it can fry everthing or worse, cause a fire and burn the house down. Always buy a quality PSU.

I would stick with the heatsink and cooler that comes with the CPU. Moniter your temps for a week or two and than you can decide if you need an after markect one. It would not be a major hassle to fit.

Now I am looking at some motherboards are the ones u mention very solid boards or more for budget builds?

All the top brands like, Asus, Gigabyte, XFX, are solid. Differnce in pricereflects the features that the board has and the length of warrentry.

There is still a shortage of supply so am only able to give these three to compare features. I favour Asus at the moment as they are the only one with the new friendly BOIS.

> http://www.newegg.co...4^13-131-714-TS

Will get back to you.