Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No power at all apart from flashing lights in mouse and keyboard

• Please log in to reply

ZombieTrev

ZombieTrev

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi all. I bought a high spec custom build gaming pc mid 2010 and all was working perfectly but yesterday I moved house and when plugging it all back in and pressing the power button, nothing happens. The thing that seperates this from any other problem I've found in the forums is that the only lights that show any sign of life are the leds in the keyboard and mouse that flash intermitantly. There are various lights and fans and a led thing on the motherboard that lights up differnt codes telling you if everything is ok or not but none of that is working. If it was the power supply, would the mouse and keyboard still be getting any power? My thoughts are that something came loose during the move but I have taken the cover off and cant see anything loose or unplugged. I'm a bit of a noob though and probably don't even deserve a pc this awesome so I don't really know what I'm looking for. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. If you need any specific info just ask n I'll do my best. Cheers. Trevor

Advertisements

ZombieTrev

ZombieTrev

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Anybody able to help with this? Or just hazard a guess? I start a new job tomorrow and need the pc to do it :S any help or suggestions would be appreciated :D

ZombieTrev

ZombieTrev

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Anybody? I'm literally begging here.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi ZombieTrev :D
First thing you need to do is remove the power cord from the wall and press the power button to dispel any charge that may be left in the system, if your PSU (power supply unit) has an on off switch is it switched all the way to on, if it is the switchable voltage type is it set to the correct voltage, if this checks out open your case and before reaching inside ground yourself by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the Ram stick/s, blow out the slot/s and reseat the Ram securely, do the same with the video card if you have an add on type, check that all fans are connected securely that the 20/24 pin MB power supply is secure, unplug and then replug it, do the same with the 4/8 pin MB ATX connection, check all other power connections to optical drives, GFX card etc are secure and finally check for any stray screws that could be shorting out the MB.
Just a quick explanation about PSUs, PSUs put out varying volts/amps +3.3V, +5V and +12V so one part of the PSU can appear to work whilst another one is not, the green light on the MB only means that the MB is getting power from the 5V supply.
Hopefully one of the above will get it sorted and let us know how it goes.

ZombieTrev

ZombieTrev

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the reply phillpower2. Will try it allnow and will let you know how it goes :D wish me luck lol

ZombieTrev

ZombieTrev

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
So is the flashing of the mouse and keyboard leds normal?i've not seen anyone else mention that on similar posts?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

So is the flashing of the mouse and keyboard leds normal?i've not seen anyone else mention that on similar posts?

Yes it is normal, it is part of the POST procedure (power on self test) what happens is on powering on the computer tests certain components Ram, GFX, CPU, keyboard etc, if it encounters a problem component it will stop and dependent on the system you may get error beeps or certain LED signals.

ZombieTrev

ZombieTrev

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Was just moving the pc (with it off and unplugged) and got a random singular flash from the motherboard. 1 green light and 1 red light both at the same time from different places... I then unplugged the RAM and was trying to figure out how to disconnect the power supply when that flashed at me too... Are these single flashes good or bad? Lol

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You should not get any flashing lights when the plug is not in the wall socket, after unplugging the PC
did you press the power on button as advised?

ZombieTrev

ZombieTrev

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes, I did press the power button after unplugging but I did plug it back in after each time it flashed in hopes that it would work... I have taken the power supply out now and under it is 2 wires that aren't plugged into anything. I thought this may of been the problem but I can't see anywhere for them to go? :S

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Removing the PSU may not have been necessary but as you have there is a basic test that you can do to see if you can get the PSU to at least switch on, have a look at the 20 pin an the 24 pin power connectors at the attached link and let us know which type is the same as yours, what you need to do is use a paper clip to short out 2 pins which then activates the PSU http://www.smpspower...rs-pinouts.html this test is not conclusive but it will at least show if it is powering up.

ZombieTrev

ZombieTrev

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The PSU doesn't have either of those. It has the 4 and 6 pin connectors... Will the paper clip thing still work?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Your PSU must have either a 20 pin or 24 pin MB power connector, the system will not work without one, see the images on the 3rd row at the attached link http://www.playtool....connectors.html also worth mentioning is that it will have one of the type of connections that are on the 4th row of images, again the system will not work if this is not connected.

ZombieTrev

ZombieTrev

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Can you pm me your email address so I can email you some pics of the inside of my pc and of the psu?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Can you pm me your email address so I can email you some pics of the inside of my pc and of the psu?

Done, please note that any advice will only be offered via the forum, this not only ensures that guidance is good but also that another Member or Tech has the chance to pick up on something that we may miss.