Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tests on reformatted hd-video lockup signals

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
I had to do a re-install on an XP system on a HP 533w desktop. I keep getting errors, so I have done some disk diagnostics and keep getting a locked screen with horizontal and blinking vertical colored bars...several programs do this.It has PCI type mb, so I don't know how to fix this..anybody got a clue how to troubleshoot? Thanks

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If this link
http://h20000.www2.h...ypeId=12454#A12

is to your computer it was orignally equipped with Intel onboard graphics. The monitor if it is using those graphics will connect on the main I/0 plate that is below the mouse and keyboard if those are PS2.
If it has an added graphics card the monitor will connect on another bay lower down.

Pls post back with the answer to that and also check Device Manager to see if you have any warnings, against devices.
That is Start, right click the My Computer entry click properties, click in the window that opens the hardware tab and then click the device manager button.

If there are no errors shown and it is the integrated grpahics, tap the F8 key repeatedly as ssons as it posts and on the adavnced boot options select this entry and see how it is then
Enable VGA Mode: This option starts Windows in 640 x 480 mode by using the current video driver (not Vga.sys). This mode is useful if the display is configured for a setting that the monitor cannot display.

Post the results pls.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 March 2011 - 02:31 PM.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
thanks for the response. I have tried 3 different hard drives and none of them will continue a new XP install. I have gotten several bsod stop errors from 007, 008, 024 as well as ntfs and cdfs notations. I have tried DBAN and it comes up with the video lock; same thing when I tried Ubuntu install. I cannot go in safe mode to select vga. I did it one time and it just rebooted back. I have looked at the MB and don't see any visual problems and have reseated the memory.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
As I asked before does it have the onboard graphics and are you using that or a separate card.
Are there two sticks of ram, if so try with just one in the first slot and then try the other stick., in case one is bad.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
sorry, it has onboard or pci graphics..no card...I have replace the ram module (only 1 256k)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I presume you mean 256Mb., which is really not sufficient to smoothly run XP, but of course unless it is faulty that is not the cause., - and if I have replace - means you have changed it, rather than taken it out of the slot and placed it back in again then it is obviously not that.
Re-reading the thread - same on ubuntu - could possibly be faulty CD drive.

cdfs is cd rom file system.
Disconnect the CD/DVD drive both from the power and the ribbon cable and then see if it will boot.

Will the computer boot to setup on F2, press that as soon as it posts. It should tell you on the post screen To enter setup press .

07 error on install is this a genuine XP CD you are using.?

09 - could indicate ram issue, nut 08 means nothing really we need the full error code

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 March 2011 - 02:23 PM.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Ok, first of all it is a 551w instead of a 533....I decided to replace the cd with another since it didn't boot with the cables removed just to see...still got a stop error "0x00000024,0x001902FE,0xF99FE4A8,0xF99FE1A4,etc
under that," ntfs.sys - address F9ABCEA6 BASE AT F9A97000, DATESTAMP 48025be5

F1 takes you to bios just fine and when I f8, I get the boot options, but nothing works. I put in a msdos floppy and it boots it, but I don't know what to do there.
My sister supplied me with an XP pro disc she borrowed and it is a retail copy I am pretty sure

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That error 0x00000024 means that the hard drive has failed or the file system is so corrupt that it cannot find the MBR - master boot record to load windows.

Go to setup, set the boot priority to CD as first device,. whilst there check if the hard drive is seen in the setup,
Also check that time and date are correct.

Put the XP CD in.
Boot and if you get the message press any key to boot from CD do so.
Then follow the prompts to REPAIR using recovery console you will see press R to do so.
In recovery console select the windows installation to repair and run chkdsk /r at the prompt.

If you cannot get into recovery console download Seatools for dos to a floppy and test the hard drive.
http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
I cannot get to the recovery console because the hd has been formatted again. I downloaded the dos seatools and installed it on a cd and tried to boot with it and I get the message" ntldr is missing..control+alt+del to restart

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

for dos to a floppy and test the hard drive.

Advertisements

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
I tried, but it said the file was too large for a floppy.....

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well I can assure you that if it did you are downloading the wrong one.
It is seatools for DOS. Not Seatools for windows.
SeaTools for DOS tests SATA or ATA drives from a bootable CD-ROM or floppy. It can test a SATA (Serial ATA) or older ATA (PATA/IDE) interface hard drive. Because the software boots to its own operating system you can test your drive regardless of the OS installed on it. You can even test a new or completely blank drive. In addition, this version offers limited repair and data erasure.

From my post 8

download Seatools for dos

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 March 2011 - 08:11 PM.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Ok...you might have let me know that one of thoses files was the iso which I dl' first. Then I tried the dos 220 euro graphical which was 1.46 mb...still too large...now I am trying the 110 euro which is smaller....I will test tonight now and respond again...thanks

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
I really do appreciate you helping me....
I seem to be going in circles...I copied the file and it wouldn't boot with it in the fd drive. I tried to boot safe and keep getting "ntldr is missing" How am I going to be able to test it?
Earlier in the day, I had a diagnostic disk for HD and every time I try to test the hd, I get the video lock I told you about. Keep in mind, I have tried 4 different ata ide hd's and none of them want to boot or install os without stop errors...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
This one is the Seatools for Dos on floppy
http://www.seagate.c...lsDOS110-DC.exe

Remember to set first boot device as floppy.
Otherwise it will try and boot to the HDD