Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tests on reformatted hd-video lockup signals

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
yes I know that...My posts above explain my dilema...no boot...floppy is first boot device...btw, what time is it there? It is 2:45 PM here

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It is 1952 hrs.
Are time and date correct in BIOS.
If not please set them as correct.
Load defaults and then normally F10 to save and exit.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
yes, the time and date are correct in bios....and....I have another optical drive hooked up instead of the old one....It is hung on (windows executive- windows setup)
It did a format on the new, raw partition..

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Do you mean that with the other optical drive the XP CD has now seen the hard drive and formatted it and started to install.

What size was the partition. -
The reason I ask, is that if that drive was formatted with another utility Windows Xp CD may well not see all the drive.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Yes, it did format the drive..I deleted the old partition and did a slow ntfs format. When it finished, it started the setup and then froze. It is a 40 gb hd and the partition was over 32 gb if I remember right.
BTW, the other optical drive did the same way, so I have now replaced the original one. Bios recognizes each one of them.
I am in Windows setup right now. It says setup is loading files (windows Executive)..but it has been there for the last 30 minutes with no movement and the cd drive light stays on.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
I hope you are not giving up on me....

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Make a Puppy CD
http://puppylinux.or...ing Started.htm

If puppy will boot the system and run , and you can install it it is that XP CD.

If Puppy will not run, which to do so does not require a hard drive then you obviously have other faults.

Read carefully the instructions for making the puppy CD

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi, I downloaded the latest file which was 5.2 Lucid Puppy...then I downloaded it with the slowest speed (4x). When I turn on the system I get a brief flash of the puppy where it says 5 seconds to boot and the f2 or f3 help info, then I just have a blinking cursor. I saw all this because I did a "pause" . When I resumed, I get this "system halted, uncompression error"

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
encoutered this problem of "Uncompression error -- System Halted". In my case, this was RAM problem. You can verify this by launching a Memtest86

Did you change the ram. ie: replace the one that was in with another one, we discussed this and you said you had

Are there two sticks of ram, if so try with just one in the first slot and then try the other stick., in case one is bad.

Quote from my post 4 - you replied one stick - changed

.I have replace the ram module (only 1 256k)

http://www.memtest.org/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 March 2011 - 11:04 AM.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Yes, I replaced the ram 256 stick. A few minutes ago, I changed it to another. I started the memtest and got the video feed and then ran s hd tewst and got a different video output. I am attaching both of them for you to see. Both of them are blinking back and forth with different colors.

Attached Thumbnails

• hd test.jpg
  • memtest.jpg

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It looks very like it is the motherboard or power supply.
If it had a separate graphics card I would say it was the graphics card but of course that is integrated on the board.

In the BIOS near to the battery you will see a jumper most likely printed on the board near to it will be Clr CMOS or CMOS reset or similar
Check that HP link I sent it will more than likely tell you where it is exactly
It will most likely have three pins.
the jumper will be in position on two of them - for example pins 1 2 3 jumper normally on pins 2 3 - clear CMOS move jumper to pins 1 2.

You will have to check the HP site it may not be labelled as my example ot the pins may be the other way ie on 1 2 move 2 3.

Found it for you
Clearing the CMOS settings The 3-pin CLR jumper allows you to clear the date, time, and system setup parameter memories in CMOS. The onboard button cell battery powers the RAM data in CMOS, including system setup information. CAUTION: Do not change any jumper setting while the computer is on. Damage to the motherboard can result.
  • Turn off the PC and unplug the power cord.
  • Move the CLR jumper cap from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3 (clear CMOS). Posted Image
  • Keep the jumper cap on pins 2-3 for 5 to 10 seconds, then move it back to pins 1-2.
  • Plug in the power cord and turn on the PC.
  • Enter the BIOS setup to change the BIOS settings.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 March 2011 - 02:37 PM.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Ok, thanks for your continued help...I searched diligently for the jumpers and could not find any, but, I have been told before that removing the battery would clear the settings as well...Do you agree??
Also, just thinking...I have an extra video card that I could install in this machine and go to config sys and change location to local instead of PCI...what do you think about that test?
BTW, I did a test on the PS and both output voltages were well within acceptable ranges

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://h20000.www2.h...TypeId=12454#A2

See the above link for the CMOS
It must be there.

You do not go to config.sys
It is in setup on BIOS
Connect the graphics in the correct slot - see the motherboard link and the card details it will either be PCI PCIe or AGP
In setup check the graphics card is seen
and disable onboard graphics.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
hello again...I had to go out of town...my motherboard is not that type...I think it is a asus...I will have to remove components to see it better