Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer running slow

• Please log in to reply

rubyannturner

rubyannturner

• Pip
  • 3 posts
my computer seems to be slowing down over time. Not just downloads but just opening files in general even when not on the net.gets frustrating.any help that you can give would be appreciated.
I have run the OTL program and have that log to send along.The quick scan generated only an OTL.txt file but not an"extras.txt" file. I also ran a scan (as opposed to the quick scan), and it generated both a OTL.txt file as well as an extras.txt file. I'm only going to send the one OTL.txt file from the quick scan (because that it what the directions call for)but have the others available if needed.
I've also run the ERUNT program to backup my registry.I also have run the GMER rootkit scan and wil include that file as well in case it may help. I figure that it couldn't hurt so.......... let me know if there's any hope for some relief..............toshiba satellite running windows vista
thank you for listening
rubyannturner

Attached Files

• Attached File  OTLqs.Txt   97.69KB   34 downloads
  • Attached File  ark.txt   3.97KB   61 downloads

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,797 posts
Hi there rubyannturner,

Your computer seems clean, as in free of infection. Are there any other symptoms that would lead you to believe you have malware on this machine?

Slowness can be caused by a number of things. If you would like, we could perform some cleanup steps to see if that helps improve the performance of the machine.

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [purity]
    [resethosts]
    [emptytemp]
    [EMPTYFLASH]
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
    [Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.

After you do that, please download MyDefrag

After installing it, you'll want to run a System Monthly scan on your operating system drive (Typically C:). This may take a few hours to complete so I recommend that you run it overnight.

Once that is complete, try the system out for while and let me know if that helped resolve some of the performance issues you were experiencing. Let me know if you have any questions.

rubyannturner

rubyannturner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
NeonFx,
hey my friend,thanks for the swift reply.I did as you instructed and am attaching the OTL log.....will download the defrag program and run that tonight.......rubyannturner

Attached Files

• Attached File  OTL.Txt   65.88KB   33 downloads

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,797 posts
Good job. Let me know how that goes and try it out for a while after the defrag to see if that helps.