Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ati2dvag problem

• Please log in to reply

jp17315

jp17315

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
My Dad has been having a problem the last few days with his computer, he gets a BSOD saying there is a problem with the ati2dvag and the computer needs to shutdown. The computer restarts and he can use it until he gets this message again. Today he was online and then he heard a beep the screen went black, he manually shutdown the computer and the computer restarted normally. I did a search online for this problem and It seems to be over my head to try to fix this myself. He is running a Win XP and he has a ATI radeon hd3400 series video card. Driver date is 1-26-2011 and driver version is 8.821.0.0. These seem to be up to date. I also had him try to do a system restore to at least 3-13 to see if that would help and the computer would not restore to that point. Tried a few other restore points and no of them would take - not sure why.

Anyone have any ideas? I told himn to take it to the computer shop that he bought it from. Computer is a Dell Vostro 420.

Thanks for any of your help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,035 posts
Hi jp17315, possibly a bad driver update, driver/s conflict or worse case scenario a malware infection.
Couple of options for you to try, hopefully the 1st one will resolve the issue as it is more straight forward;

How To Fix ati2dvag.dll Errors
Step 1 – Update Your ATI Display Drivers
It is always imperative to maintain your ATI drivers to the highest possible version. ATI are continually releasing new drivers to deal with problems and to improve performance, and the ati2dvag.dll error can arise from drivers being outdated. If you are going to install new drivers, you will need to restart in “Safe Mode with Networking”. This prevents the corrupt driver from loading and causing the blue screen half way through your session. To do this:

» Restart your PC, or turn it on, and past the BIOS splash screen, press F8.
» A menu will appear with various choices for your Windows boot. Choose the option “Safe Mode With Networking“. (It has to have networking so we can download the file)
» Once it has loaded, open up your preferred Internet browser.
» Navigate to this ATI download site.
» Fill out the form to suit your system’s requirements.
» Download the file, install the drivers, restarting when prompted.
» You can now start your PC normally after the drivers have updated.
Over time, the drivers for your graphics card can become outdated and cause conflict with newer software present on your PC. This is what causes the blue screens, so always make sure that your software is updated to the most recent version to maintain system integrity.

Step 2 – Manually Replace ATI2dvag.dll On Your System
Replacing the ati2dvag.dll file is probably the surest way to get your system running as smoothly as possible again. You can do this very easily by following the guide below:

1) Download ati2dvag.zip from our server here http://www.personalc...ors-on-your-pc/

2) Unzip the ati2dvag.dll file onto your computer’s hard drive

3) Browse to c:\Windows\System32

4) Locate the current ati2dvag.dll on your system

5) Rename the current ati2dvag.dll to odbc32BACKUP.dll

6) Copy & paste the new ati2dvag.dll into C:\Windows\System32

7) Click Start > Run (Or search”run” on Vista & Win7)

8 ) Type “cmd” in the box that appears

9) Type “regsvr32 ati2dvag.dll” on the black screen

10) Press enter

This will replace the ati2dvag.dll file on your PC with a fresh, new copy that your PC should be able to access again.
If you suspect your system may have a malware issue I suggest you check out the self help guide at the malware forum http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/ if after following the guide you believe your system may still be infected you need to start a new topic there and not post any malware logs on this forum as they are not used here, provide them with a link to this thread to show them what if any steps have been taken. Once you get the all clear from the malware guys if the issue is not resolved return here and someone will assist you.

Edited by phillpower2, 21 March 2011 - 01:06 PM.

jp17315

jp17315

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Ok here is what happened:

Booted in safe mode and went to the ati download site entered the info and the site gave us 2 options to download. Downloaded the first file and went to install. An error message occurred:

Ati catalyst install manager failed to load detection driver.

Went back to the Ati download site and downloaded the second option. Gave us the same error message as above. Told my Dad to reboot computer normally and update his antivirus program and do a full scan. Then update MBAM and do a full scan just to be sure there aren't any nasties hanging around. Not sure what to do next. I also read to fix this problem is to go to device manger and uninstall the display drivers first before updating. But if we are having a problem installing updated drivers not sure if that would be a fix.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,035 posts
Download and save the correct drivers to the desktop and then uninstall the present drivers in the add/remove programs and the actual device in device manager and then reboot, allow the found new hardware wizard to install the device and install the drivers from your desktop.