Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newly Built Comp Shuts Down Right Away

• Please log in to reply

Samunder

Samunder

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello all, I've been trying to figure out what is wrong for the last couple hours and found this site so I'm looking to leach from your knowledge, in a good way.

So I just built my first rig, and had a blast and it was much easier than I thought it would be. I've been inside a comp and know my way around but never built one from scratch. So I try to install the OS today and while it's 'loading windows files' it shuts off. Hm... I think, so I try it again. Same thing. When I turn it on, I get 2 beeps. When there is no OS disc I get a screen that says something like "insert boot media in selected boot device", I have tried to get into BIOS but I never got a CMOS setup screen. In my mind I'm thinking Motherboard at this point. Yet, it shuts off on a timely manner. It stays on for anywhere from 10-20 seconds then shuts off, here I think PSU. Yet if i try to boot it up again right after shutting off, it is only a second or two that it stays on, and here I think CPU. I saw one thing on another site it could be misinstalled Ram, which I removed and put back in only one and doesn't have an effect.

So here is where I am, and looking for your advice and knowledge. Motherboard, CPU, PSU? And how do I check and go about this.

Thank you all in advance.

System Specs are.
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor.

Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91

PowerColor AX5770 1GBD5-H Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16

ASUS M4A78LT-M AM3 AMD 760G HDMI

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please do not double post as this could create conflicting advice being given. I am going to close the topic you started in the Hardware forum HERE. Please respond only to this topic now. Someone will be along soon to assist you.

Samunder

Samunder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Was trying to move it to this one, apparently I didn't do it right haha. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Samunder

Samunder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I removed my graphics card in order to test if it was the PSU, still shuts down. So it leads me to believe it is not the PSU but the Processor or the Motherboard now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
With the symptoms you have described it is possible that the system is shutting down to protect the CPU from frying.
Have you checked that you have connected the CPU fan to the header on the MB securely and that it is working correctly, also did you apply only the right amount of TIM (thermal interface material).
See these 2 topics to help you http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/ and http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Here is the link to that motherboard
http://uk.asus.com/p...ZpT4egUiqtojuHR

and from that link here is the memory supported
4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture

So that memory you have
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
is suitable for an overclock situation.

Have you overclocked using manual settings
If you have I suggest you return to load defaults.

If you cannot even get into setup and you continue to try there is as Phillpower2 has said a very real danger that you will end up making this a very expensive exercise.
I really cannot stress the importance of reading that link that Phillpower2 has sent and checking all your work carefully. When you have done so check it again.

My guess is on, if not the thermal compound, a short on the motherboard, on one of the case mountings, an incorrecftly connected motherboard header.
USB and front audio are favourite.

My advice having checked and checked again, if no success, is to disconnect all from the motherboard - headers included except the case switch, reset, HDD and leds header. leave the graphics, monitor and keyboard. See if it will post.

If stil no success - take the motherboard out, place it on a peice of card larger than the board and see if it will then post.
If so it is a motherboard short to a projection in the case.

Post back please with results and one of us will advise.
Good Luck.