Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer boots.. but can't load Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Kivalight

Kivalight

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I will try and best describe the problem. It first occurred when I used the power button to force shut down the computer, and now ever since when loading the computer it will get to the black XP screen with the loading bar, the loading bar will go through 2 times and then the computer will stop running.

I have tried:
- Booting from an XP CD
- Running in safe mode

I am not sure what I can do, I have tried playing around but to no avail. Any help such as any diagnostic tools or procedures to follow would be much appreciated. I can try to elaborate on any area that may be needed.
Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi Kivalight,
Sounds like you may have damaged the OS, read thoroughly and then follow the guide here; http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Kivalight

Kivalight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, thank you for the response. I have tried booting from disk and have configured it so it does boot from disk but it didn't work. Same issue.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number.
You may have damaged the OS beyond repair and so a format and fresh install
may be the only solution, also consider the possibility that the HDD may
have issues, any earlier problems such as clicking or slow access times?
If you have data on the drive that you would like to retrieve then booting
from puppy linux is an option http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

I have tried booting from disk and have configured it so it does boot from disk but it didn't work

Please confirm that when you configured the boot sequence in the BIOS that it was set to 1st CD/DVD drive 2nd HDD and that you saved the settings (F10) and then pressed Y to accept the changes, this will also tell us if the BIOS is detecting the HDD.