Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Uninstall AVG Recommendation For New Anti-Virus

• Please log in to reply

msbug

msbug

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I have Windows XP, SP2, Malwarebytes, Spywareblaster, CCleaner and AVG 8.5. I would like to uninstall AVG and install a different anti virus. Should I use something to uninstall AVG and what is the best recommended Anti Virus that is not a resource hog? Thanks. I am not sure the version of Firefox I have. I keep getting a request to update to 3.6 Firefox. Thank you.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 69,964 posts
Download AVG removal tool to your desktop
Download your new Antivirus to your desktop - my personal av is Avast Details
Or you could get MSE or Avira
Remove AVG initially using add/remove
Reboot
Run the AVG removal tool
Reboot
Install your AV of choice
Job done :D

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,955 posts

I have Windows XP, SP2

In addition to essexboy's educated advice:

Support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) ended on July 13, 2010. To continue receiving security updates for Windows, make sure you're running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3). Windows XP updates are distributed in service packs. Service packs help keep Windows XP current, and extend and update the functionality of your computer.

You can turn on Automatic Updates so that your computer downloads the latest service pack automatically or you can download the service pack manually online.

Read more here: How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack

The following page in the link below will say that this installation package is intended for IT professionals and developers. However, you can safely download this file.

Download link: Windows XP SP3

PS: I use Avast as well. Love it! :D

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Thank you for the advice essexboy.

The AVG say 2011 will that be okay to use for AVG 8.5?

Edited by msbug, 21 March 2011 - 08:32 PM.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Donna no matter how I download SP3 it messes up my internet, so I gave up.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,955 posts

no matter how I download SP3 it messes up my internet

Meaning after you install SP3 or during the download? Could you please give a little more detail.

Without SP3 you will no longer receive important updates that can leave your system vulnerable. I'm sure there has to be a way around your issue. There's a fix for everything.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
After I download SP3, then I will click on something and it will hang up and then not connect. I've had to uninstall it several times I've tried and the last time had to do a system restore.

I downloaded Avast and I must say the quick scan is extremely slow.

Also do I have to register the free version of Avast I downloaded?

Edited by msbug, 21 March 2011 - 09:17 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,955 posts

After I download SP3, then I will click on something and it will hang up and then not connect. I've had to uninstall it several times I've tried and the last time had to do a system restore.

Many people had this issue. I'd like to wait for essexboy's response on this before I guide you further.

As for Malwarebytes and SpywareBlaster:

Yes, you can run them both along side Avast.

SpywareBlaster does not run in "real time". It is a killbit program for Microsoft Windows designed to block the installation of ActiveX malware. It uses a list of "bad" ActiveX programs, to decide what to block. It tells your browser what ActiveX programs are not allowed to run, what cookies are not allowed to be downloaded, and adds restrictions to known malicious sites, when you visit them. SpywareBlaster targets the prevention of and does not have the capabilities to scan for malicious software.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a "run on demand" program that is a responsive malware remover. Please note that the real-time protection is restricted to the paid version.

To give you an idea, here is how I have my machines set up:

SpywareBlaster for the prevention of.
Avast as my AV.
MBAM that I run maybe once or twice a month.
SASW that I run maybe once or twice a month.
WOT (Web of Trust) to prevent me from accessing bad sites that contain malicious content.

:D

Edited by DonnaB, 21 March 2011 - 09:38 PM.

bug2

bug2

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks Donna. I did a quick scan with Avast and it had a couple of threats. It advised a bootscan. I did that and there were 13 files infected. Win32 Hot Bar and Win 32 Zwangi. I don't know how they got in with my having AVG and Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes is now clean and I am doing another Avast scan.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,955 posts
bug2!?!?!?!

Where's msbug and what did you do with him/her? Are you one and the same person?

Please verify before further instructions are presented.

:D :D

EDIT: @ bug2,

Either way;

Win32.HotBar and Win32.Zwangi are both undesirables that can alter your system and are capable of recording your personal information and downloading other malware without your permission.

My suggestion would be to follow the instructions HERE.

@msbug;

I see you did post HERE. Good move! Please have the Removal team help guide you with SP3....very important!

Edited by DonnaB, 22 March 2011 - 08:06 AM.

Advertisements

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Thank you Donna. My scans are clean now on Avast and Malwarebytes, just have to address the other issue. I must have registered awhile back with bug2 and somehow that popped up when I logged in. LOL

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,955 posts
You're welcome msbug. That's easy to do. I did that myself some time ago before I began my training here and forgot my login info. I had and administrator delete my other profile. You may want to do that as well to prevent further confusion.

If I may add, just because your scans are clean does not mean that there are residuals lurking in the back ground. Please follow through with the advice given in the removal forum and ask them to help you with getting SP3 installed. You may want to add a link to this thread here if you wish to fill the experts in on recent activity. Since you've already posted there, wait for a reply before doing so. They are quite busy so please be patient! :D

Good luck!

Donna :D

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Thanks again.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 69,964 posts
Got it :D

im.a.malware

im.a.malware

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i don't recommend running multiple anti-malware softwares all together for this will cause a lot of memory usage and consume a lot of CPU. AVAST is a good and lightweight antivirus and MSE is microsoft's home made antivir, i highly recommend trying both and see which fits you.