Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to input OTL listings

• Please log in to reply

Thomyjnr

Thomyjnr

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi
Struggling to input OTL listings.
Everytime I try and then click 'Post' it say no Internet connection.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi run this small programme and post the generated log please

Download aswMBR.exe ( 511KB ) to your desktop.

Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it

Posted Image
Click the "Scan" button to start scan

Posted Image
On completion of the scan click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply

Thomyjnr

Thomyjnr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

Thanks very much for your reply.
I think things have got a [bleep] of a lot worse. I installed Spyware Doctor a couple of weeks ago when I first was aware I had a problem when my wife's User Desktop page seaid it was infected. I used SD because it solved a similar issue a couple of years ago.
Last week I started to notice some google re-directs. Tried the fix on this website but it didn't seem to work.
Then started to get fake Windows Security Center and Firewall alerts.
Decided to run SD again and it 'seemed' to cure it. Far from it, when I re-booted I can't get the internet anymore. Also when I clicked on any programmes, they didn't work.
Ran SD again this morning I had 2441 Malware.ramnit infections.
It said it cleared them but then stopped whilst processing.
I'm completely stuffed now. My main concern is that I've got videos and photos of my kids on there which I desperately do not want to lose. Been meaning to back them up since the last infections but as per never got round to it.

Considering taking it to a local repair shop but I've got no reviews on any of them.
Thanks again

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

2441 Malware.ramnit infections

you have a very rampant file infector, no matter what any programme states this can not be cured. I would recommend that you back up any text files or pictures that you need to a DVD/CD and then do a full reformat

Do not backup any programme files at all as they will be infected and will transfer to your new installation

If you wish any further assistance or advice do not hesitate to ask

Thomyjnr

Thomyjnr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks again for your response.

I have just got 2 probably very thick questions.
1. Can I back the files to an external hard drive? (If so, any recommendations?)
2. Re-format?? Where do I start?

I you can probably guess by now, I am a complete novice with computers.
Cheers

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes you can back up to an external hard drive but..... only pictures and text. Once you have backed them up then do not access that drive untill you have given it a scan with an Antivirus, I will help you with that if you wish

Do you have a windows disc ?
If not what is your computer make and model ?

Thomyjnr

Thomyjnr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
By pictures and text, just checking, but does that include video and all word docs?

I've got a old Dell, but I've got the original Windows re-install disc (service pack 1) and a 2nd windows disc (Service pack 2) when it went belly up a few years ago.

I could with any help you can give me. It will be very much appreciated.
Thanks again

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Video and word should be OK

OK reinstall - it just so happens there is a tutorial here :D

The one thing to ensure you do is write down all your e-mail addresses and passwords and all your licence information for bought programmes

If possible use the SP2 disc.

From a clean computer download and save to USB or CD an Antivirus programme
Once you have reformatted and prior to even thinking about going on line install the Antivirus

When you are ready to start copying your backed up videos etc... Let me know and I will go through the checking process with you

Thomyjnr

Thomyjnr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi again
Sorry to be a pain but is there any difference for 'my situation' between a desktop and a portable External Hard Drive. (Is one type type likely to work more than the other) or do particular brands have software that possibly wouldn't work with my computer the way it is?

Cheers

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If the external hard drive is connected via a USB slot then it will be plug and play with windows - it will installl the necessary drivers

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Opened at topic starters request.

Unfortunately I was away last week and my post has been closed. Id there anyway of re-opening it?

Thomyjnr

Thomyjnr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

I have eventually got a external hard drive. I've transfered all the required docs but I think I've got the virus on the hard drive now.
A colleague has suggested trying a system restore. Is this a complete no-no or should I just go for the complete system start-again?

Thanks again

Thomyjnr

Thomyjnr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi
Is there anyway of contacting Essexboy directly?
Thanks again