Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Wireless Router or an Access Point

• Please log in to reply

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Hi there I have a small office and this is what I have.
DSL thru AT&T
Modem- WestellC90-610030-06 (on this Modem it has DSL Router printed on it)
Router - Netgear RP614

I have 4 computers connected to the router sharing the internet now.

I want to go Wireless.

I want to be able for me and my employees and kids to be able to get online on our smartphones. I want to be able to access the internet with my laptop and or my clents while here.

Please tell me what you suggest.

Do I get a newer router that is wireless? Do I add and access point to the existing setup?

Please help.

What do you suggest doing and what brand and model.

Thanks

Advertisements

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
The C90-610030-06 was made for Bell South, so no info on the website - I suspect that its a route r- BUT maybe set to bridge mode in order to work with your Router - Netgear RP614 http://kb.netgear.co...model/a_id/2530

you could replace the router with a wireless router - make sure the router does not have a modem included - something like a DIR-615 work well http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=565 but netgear will produce equivalent devices like WGT624 http://kb.netgear.co...amily/a_id/1296

Do I get a newer router that is wireless? Do I add and access point to the existing setup?

you could do either really

do you have any particular product in mind or an account with a supplier for the business that may have a limited range of devices

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
No I do not have any product in mind. Just one that would be easy to set up.

An Account with a supplier? Not sure what you mean here. The only account that I have that you may be talking about is my DSL account thru AT&T.

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

An Account with a supplier

- I set up a few accounts for a small consultancy, and got preferred terms by using that supplier for all our business furniture, supplies etc

I meant as a small business you may have a preferred supplier for sationary and business products, they often supply router as well at least in the UK
what country are you in ?
The items i posted would be fine

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I'm in the USA.

No, no supplier like you are referring to.

Thanks.

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
your welcome

I'm in UK so cant advise on shops , however, i see newegg mentioned a lot from US members
http://www.newegg.co...less-Networking

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I have a Buffalo Wireless Router in my possession.

I called the ATT Tech support to make sure it was compatible with my DSL modem.

They would not answer. They want to sell me there Modem / Router which is wireless for 60 bucks. The Motorola 3347.

What do you think?

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

I have a Buffalo Wireless Router in my possession.

would you post the exact model

assuming its a standard router - then you can connect two routers together following this instruction

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together
From a JohnWill post (on other technical forums )

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Here is the info you requested;

Buffalo
Wireless-G
Broadband Router and Access ppint with high gain antenna

Model No WHR-HP-G54

Thank you for helping.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you already have a wireless capable router (the buffalo) just replace the Netgear RP614 with the buffalo (as long as there's no complex special configuration that you can't recreate on the netgear)

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
the user manual is here
http://www.buffalo-t...port/downloads/
direct link here http://www.buffalo-t...-G54-manual.pdf

as dsenetteposted you could be good to go and just replace the netgear

do a powercycle though

How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
  • Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
  • Wait at least 30 seconds.
  • Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
  • First turn on the modem and then wait for it to settle - all lights to become stable.
  • Next switch on the router (if a seperate device ) and the allow the lights to become stabile.
  • Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.