Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Track / Record IE8 History

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Sethboy

Sethboy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've got a few computers in the office that we are trying to figure out who is surfing the "bad" sites. I am looking for a program or add-on (FREE software only, unfortunately) that will allow me to keep a record of the sites that were visited through IE8, but not to have other people know, and to not allow someone else to be able to delete the browsing history or cover the tracks. In other words, to keep a history log "live" as sites are visited and then record to a text file or similar.

I found a few programs, but they all seemed to my understanding to basically report what history is stored in IE itself, which would be pointless if the user could just erase it before I could look through it.

Unfortunately they have Windows XP Home edition (not Pro). I was going to try to use the trick of ~not~ allowing users to delete the browsing history using group policies but that does not work in XP Home. I don't have time for packet-sniffing or other kinds of complicated things in order to pull a few simple URL's and see who was misbehaving on Sunday nite when the office was empty.

Thanks for suggestions and ideas!!

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,956 posts
Hi Sethboy,

Welcome to Geeks to go! :D

Unfortunately, under our Terms of Use Section 3.b. it states:

We offer free computer help and tech support for home and personal use. We are not here to support others that work for profit, or to support/replace your company's IT department.

I believe your current issue falls under those terms. Though we would be more than happy to offer help and tech support for your home and personal use.

Please accept our apologies.

Donna :D

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If your users are logging in through the company network, you should be able to monitor all activity.
Johanna