Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File & Print Sharing w/ XP Pro and XP Home

• Please log in to reply

MsTeKGeeNee

MsTeKGeeNee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I've got two computers, Host computer running WinXP Pro, 2nd puter running WinXP Home. The internet is working great.

I've got the broadband modem connected to host computer w/ a cable running from the host computer to the router then out of the router to the 2nd computer. Everything seems fine, but for the life of me, I can't get my Home Network for File & Print Sharing up.

I've got the Workgroups named the same, but when I look at my Network Places from one computer or the other, I can only see that computer, not the other one. I'm fairly familiar with networking, but this is my first XP network, so I feel like a newbie again. Very frustrating.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thank you in advance,

Mychale

P.S. If I didn't provide enough details, please let me know any specifications you might need to help diagnose my problem. I'm happy to oblige!! Thanks!

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
hey mychale,

ive had the same problems myself but it is very easy to fix <_<

in your network places remove all the connections it has under the router, so since were gonna start clean run a network setup wizard on both
restart your computer, and to check that it worked, make sure that your internet connection works, after it works, go into printers and hardware and select the printer- properties and under the shared tab enable printer sharing, after find a folder or file you want to share and select the properties and enable sharing also

then in the windows exlporer it should be under network places :D