Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 recovery problem

• Please log in to reply

DOS Chuck

DOS Chuck

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Here's my situation:
drive C: Windows XP Pro x64
drive D: Windows Server 2008 R2 x64
drive E: Storage (2TB of just storage, backups, etc.,)
drive F: Ubuntu 10.10 x64

I had been downloading something using uTorrent on C:Windows XP, saving it to E:Storage. I left the room for a minute, when I came back, Windows had rebooted itself and I had an error message. I couldn't boot into anything. I was able to restore Windows XP and Ubuntu but cannot "restore system image" for Windows Server 2008. It was backed up to E:Storage\WindowsImageBackup.
If I try "Repair your computer" at the boot prompt or if I use a Windows 7 System repair disk, it sees Windows Server 2008 R2 as being on the E: drive and can't find the image that IS STILL on the E:Storage drive.
I have tried wbadmin at a command prompt, which CAN find the backup image but can't restore because of "missing system files".
Any ideas? Or should I just go ahead and re-install?
I thought I had found some help on Technet, at least it was almost exactly the same problem, but the solution didn't work.
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the drive letters being wrong but what changed them and how do I fix it? Windows Explorer under Windows XP shows everything correct.
Thanks for any help.

Advertisements