Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Retrieve CD key from Windows XP CD

• Please log in to reply

lo2

lo2

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have this Windows XP CD where there CD key is missing. So I was wondering if I could retrieve it somehow, and that was when I stumbled over this:

My link

I have indeed found a CD key. It just seems a bit too good to be true. So is it the right CD key? And will this work?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As I would like to help you have provided little information on this system.
Is it a name brand system like Dell or HP or a custom built system?
Is it a laptop or desktop?
If the system came preloaded there should be a sticker on the side or back that has your original OS loaded with version and the reg key.
Where did the XP disk you state you have come from and does it match the original installed OS?
Where exactly did you find a cd key or did you follow the instruction from your link?

lo2

lo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
It is my little sister's computer which is a laptop from DELL. The problem is that she has thrown away the Reinstallation CD. Then I found this Windows XP CD where the CD key (it is not the one that came with her computer) is missing, I do not know what computer it has been installed on, but when I browsed around the internet I found that trick that I linked to, where you could find the CD key on the CD itself.

I hope I do make sense now, if not please tell.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK depending on the age of the Dell it may have a hidden Recovery partition on it.
Is the laptop able to boot into windows and if so then Try this and let me know.
Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

If it is not able to boot into windows then try this.

Recovery Partition access"
The key combination is CRTL + F11 pushing the keys at the same time at the the dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them.
It should go into the recovery partition so you can do a system restore.

lo2

lo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

OK depending on the age of the Dell it may have a hidden Recovery partition on it.
Is the laptop able to boot into windows and if so then Try this and let me know.
Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

If it is not able to boot into windows then try this.

Recovery Partition access"
The key combination is CRTL + F11 pushing the keys at the same time at the the dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them.

Here it is:

I am sorry that it is in Danish, but I hope that you can figure out what it says.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No screenshot attached :D

lo2

lo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Ups forgot to attach the picture. Well here it is!

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot of diskmanagement.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it doesn't look like a Recovery Partition is available but lets give it a try just in case.

Reboot the laptop and:

WARNING: This in most cases will format the system resulting in the loss of all data. Before doing this let me know if there is data that needs to be saved.

lo2

lo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

OK it doesn't look like a Recovery Partition is available but lets give it a try just in case.

Reboot the laptop and:

WARNING: This in most cases will format the system resulting in the loss of all data. Before doing this let me know if there is data that needs to be saved.

Well if I press CTRL + F11 during the startup, won't it format my computer? And why should I do that if I do not even know if there is a way to install windows XP again?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If there is a Recovery Partition then it will not format till you tell it to.
Being a laptop there should be a sticker on the bottom of it with the original OS installed along with the reg key you are searching for.
If it is not there then the direction you are taking cannot happen because the OS disk you have may or may not already be installed on another system with the reg key used on that system.
You can't load it on another system legally.
The most logical way to resolve this is to contact Dell and ask about purchasing a set of recovery disks for the system. In most cases they cost less then 50 USD and it will include the original OS, Programs, Drivers and the reg key for the system.