Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Additional RAM problem

• Please log in to reply

ewiginton

ewiginton

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I own a HP Pavilion a1712n. It has 2 sticks of RAM (512MB a piece) factory & I ordered 2 sticks of 1GB (2GB total) to install in the empty slots. All the information is correct to match them. When I installed them, the monitor would not come on. I plugged the monitor cable into my video card & the computer itself, but nothing happened. The hard drive was running fine as well but the monitor was not.

Although, the monitor would come on after I took the RAM sticks out of the empty slots. I made sure they were in the slots correctly & stable.

Do I need to reset my CMOS, if not, what would be my best alternative?

Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What happens if you try just the original memory by itself and then take that out and try the new memory by itself?

ewiginton

ewiginton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I don't know. I haven't tried that one yet. My computer said that it could hold up to 4GB of RAM but I don't understand what the RAM would have to do with the monitor. It would work just fine with only the original RAM in it but when the 2GB where added with the original. The monitor would not turn on.

Thanks

Edited by ewiginton, 22 March 2011 - 01:11 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please try the original ram by itself. If the system boots fine then remove the original and try the new ram by itself.
If it works fine then install the original ram with the new ram that is already installed and try it again.
Please post results of each test.

ewiginton

ewiginton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Alright. Thanks. I will try that when I get home & let you know the outcome.

ewiginton

ewiginton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
When I got home, I tried it out by taking out the factory RAM (2x512MB) sticks & just installing the new (2x2GB) sticks & still, the monitor would not come on. Any other suggestions?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you run just the factory ones?
Did you put the new ram in the slots the same slots the original ram was in.

ewiginton

ewiginton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Running on just the factory ones works fine. It's just when I either swap them out for the new ones or add them with the factory ones is when the monitor doesn't come on. I did install them in the factory slots to answer your second question.

Thanks

Edited by ewiginton, 22 March 2011 - 06:50 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you post the specs of the original memory and the newer memory please.

ewiginton

ewiginton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Original- 512MB 1Rx8 PC2-4200U-444-12

New - 1GB 2Rx8 PC2-4200U-444-030111

Both are DDR2, 533MHz U-DIMM

I got the new ones from 18004Memory.com

Hope this helps

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it looks like the new memory is dead to be honest.
I have never had any dealings with the company you bought them from so I can't say how they are.
I would suggest contacting them and asking them about the memory possibly being bad. Let them know the steps i have advised you to do and that with just their memory the system refuses to show video.

ewiginton

ewiginton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It sounded like that to me to.... dead. Hey bud, I really appreciate your help. This was a difficult problem for me to solve as well.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would appreciate that after you have talked to them that you update this topic and what they suggest you do. If they do replace the memory for you I would like to continue with this topic till we have the resolution completed. :D

ewiginton

ewiginton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Will do. I'll give you an update on the situation after talking to them.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 14 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.